Feeling A Bit Nostalgic

Not sure of the reason, but today, working around the house I have been thinking a lot about the way people used to eat, even back 50 years ago, so much less complicated. You didn't have 100 cookbooks on the shelf or 300 new diet plans introduced each year, all telling you to eat their way or you will die young. The nightly news was not telling you one thing one day about a certain food and another thing totally opposite the next day.
People ate what was simple and available due to the seasons and availability.
Emery and I used to pick blueberries every summer up in the Medford woods. Berries galore, all for the picking. Not once did we meet anyone else up there doing the same thing. It was strange to me that the berries would just go unpicked. There were no chemicals sprayed on them, they were organic and free. Just naked blueberries, sweet and juicy. That meant blueberry shakes, blueberry pies, blueberries with a bit of sugar sprinkled on them in a bowl of milk.
Thinking about the blueberries made me think about a treat I ate as a kid. Sliced bananas in a bowl, sprinkled with sugar with milk poured over it in a bowl. It was a so simple, but tasted something like banana ice cream without the frozen aspect.
I am not sure how things have become so complicated when it comes to eating. Maybe we simply have too many options. Maybe we should just rely more on common sense. More natural is best, balance is good and keep it simple.

My hibiscus in bloom

Comments

nancyr said…
Oh, I remember eating sliced bananas with a little sugar and milk. I loved that as a child.
I think people are so into convenience foods, the old standbys have been forgotten.
When it is so easy to make homemade pudding, I can't imagine why anyone would buy those plastic cups of pudding at the grocery store. Yuck!
Victoria (Vii) said…
I agree! More natural is best yet so many people still reach for the boxes and preservatives! Your banana treat sounds delicious.. a wonderful idea for lunch today!
Dana and Daisy said…
Hi Patty. My hibiscus has many buds on it this year. Since it is only my second year to see it bloom, I'm not sure what to expect. Will many blossoms mean smaller ones? Last year I only had two blossoms but they were about 10 inches across! Should I pinch some of the buds off to encourage bigger blooms?
Patty said…
Hi Dana,
I think different varieties have different size blooms. Mine has tons of buds on it still and the flowers are like salad plates !
I would just let it bloom : )
Dana and Daisy said…
Okay, I'll follow your advice! And I'll post pics when mine bloom!

Popular Posts