Whoopie Pie Day


Storms are on the way but for now its just a dreary sort of day with on and off rain. A good day to do some baking. Melanie has been asking for Whoopie pies and since she has been having such drastic low blood sugars we thought they might be good to have around for those moments.
Nothing quite as tasty as a freshly baked whoopie pie and a big glass of cold milk !

Here is the recipe my family has used for three generations. Whoopie pies are a favorite treat for the Amish and folks in New England. One time my sister Jan and I tripled the recipe and then made them into tiny whoopie pies, we had them all over the kitchen ! We never did that again.

Whoopie Pies

1/2 cup shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 egg
1 cup milk
2 cups flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
cream shortening and sugar add egg, milk and vanilla. Mix well.
Add dry ingredients. Drop by tablespoon of batter on ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart and bake at 425 degrees F for 7 minutes Cool on rack and put filling between two cakes.

Filling
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup marshmallow cream (7 oz jar)
1 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
mix well

Mix together

Comments

Yvonne said…
That whoopie pie sure looks yummy. Do you post your pictures straight from your camera or do you use photoshop to touch them up. Either way....they're wonderful.
Patty said…
Hi Yvonne,
I don't touch up my photos, what you see is just what I took : )
I am blessed with a wonderful camera
If I made these I would eat them all myself. My oh my they look yummy!
Gypsy Quilter said…
Ohhhh yum! Chocolate!! I'll be right over and bring extra milk.
Dawn said…
Yum! :-)

Hey, maybe when I get to Texas (56 days left as of today) you can teach me how to make a loaf of homemade bread. I got a ton of recipes but am afraid to try them out...lol.

I look forward to getting to meet you soon! It will be a blessing!

Hugs,
Dawn
Dana and Daisy said…
That looks so good. Let me guess, they are called that because when you make them your whole family cries out, "WHOOPIE!"
Carole said…
They really look yummy. I will try to adapt them as I can't find marshmallow cream anywhere here.
And also, there's a giveaway for the first year of my blog, you're invited !
Patty said…
Hi Dawn, I sure hope you will come and spend the day with me after you are settled. I would be happy to show you how to bake some bread, I was just thinking as I was writing this that I have about 40 years experience in bread baking !
Would love to take you to our friends Mennonite bulk goods store too
Renee said…
These look so yummy! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe. I think my family and I will be making these this weekend.

Hope y'all have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Popular Posts