A Ramble, The Moment


The wisteria outside the living room window, so green and so delicate, is being tapped on the shoulder by the first drops of rain. In some sort of natures music, the leaves are being pressed by rainy fingers as if they were keys on a piano. I strain my ears a bit, as if I could be quiet enough to hear the notes. The air is still, heavy with humidity...but when the rain comes, the air will cool some, cool dampness feels good to me. Reminds me of summer rains by the ocean side. I love the ocean, find myself longing for a walk along the gray sands of the New England coast. Smelling the salty air and feeling sand in my toes. Gulls calling over my head. The places of our childhood stay with us.
Its an gentle sort of day...the kind when time means nothing to us. I don't even know what time it is and I really don't care to know. The window fan next to me is humming as it cools my back. Its getting darker and the rain is falling at a greater rate. A car whooshes past the house, rain on the road. My windows can stay open. Emery built wisely on the addition. The roof extends quite a bit over the windows, keeping rain from coming in, unless strong wind is blowing in from the south. I like the windows open. I don't even like curtains closed, actually my living room windows have no curtains and the mini blinds are always pulled up all the way. Letting the outside reach inside. Actually now that I think about it, only my bedroom has drapes and even those are open all day long. Perhaps my curtains or lack of them, reflect a bit about me. Some psychological connection : ) Preferring to be open to new things, living spherically. Hesitating to shut out the beauty of what surrounds me. Amusing thought.
Garden and animal chores done, the rain making me feel a bit lazy. Sitting, sipping coffee on the sofa, crocheting a baby afghan, each stitch reminds me that soon our family will be blessed with another miracle. A life, new and precious, a gift to love and treasure. Another Grandbaby whose tiny fingers and toes will fill me with wonder, and who will make my heart bigger, more full of love and will grow so quickly, giggle with me, dance with me in my arms, sing the ABC's with me, sing Yiddish songs with me, make me smile, smoother me with kisses and hugs, show me the real meaning of awe and splendor, just as my children did and still do. My sweet granddaughters do all this for me now by simply being who they are. Emery will read this post and smile, feeling these feelings right along with me. We are so wealthy, so very blessed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
A beautiful post! Our house is so dark (metal shutters that won't open, a crazy addition by the previous owners that block the light for half the house). it's hard to be happy in it sometimes. I love the light coming in and being able to see the greenery of the garden, the washing waving in the breeze, the children outside and the clouds in the sky.
Thora said…
Such wonderful decscriptions.
I see what you write before my eyes
nancyr said…
Sounds like a lovely, rainy day.

The afghan is pretty.

I found out last week, that I have a new grandbaby on the way, too. After five little grandson's, a little girl would be nice, but we love those boys, so as long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter if little guy number six comes along. Grandchildren are such a blessing.
Mimi said…
you have a wise husband that built the house in such a way that the windows could stay open even in soft rains...it is so soothing to feel the outside breezes while resting inside...
you are also blessed with your sweet grand babies so close to you that you are able to see them frequently...
I also smile when I read your posts..
Mimi
Carole said…
I really love the colors of the afghan ! It was nice to read about your peaceful day : I dream of slowing down too, and finishing Elise's yellow cardigan, quietly, in front of the open window...
(Un)fortunately I still have a couple of weeks to go before I can come home and think "I don't have papers to grade or lessons to prepare, I can crochet - or sew, or read, or cook, or whatever...
But it sure starts to feel more relaxed and easy with the sunny weather and the end of the year coming !
Margo in Maine said…
How true wealth is in relationship not 'things'...I felt like I was reading a chapter in a book..you are very gifted and easily express your thoughts...I enjoy so much your writings ...God's extra special blessings to you today as you walk through the day...I have the ocean 30 minutes away and love walking on the beach ...and the sound is so soothing...M of Maine
Carrie said…
What a lovely post, so beautifully expressed.

Popular Posts