Eventide

The western sky is a palette of turquoise and coral with a touch of gray, changing by the minute, darkening, growing in beauty. Firefly's dance about in the air, natures tiny party lights flickering all around us as we do the last of the days chores. Emery stops his work for a moment to listen to the last bird songs of the day. The beauty of all that is around us, leaves us whispering to one another, hushed awe.
Chickens in the hen house squabbling over the best spot to perch for the night. Momma cat and her kittens curled up in a ball of fur in the clean fresh hay. Goats grabbing the last mouthfuls of green grass of the day, slowly making their way to the barn as they graze. Its pure simplicity. Perfect harmony of work and pleasure. Slow steps take us back to the house, hand in hand, laughing at a silly joke, a stolen kiss makes us fall out of step with one another, another laugh.
The screen door slams shut, a comforting sort of familiar sound. The day is done.

Comments

Unknown said…
Patty,
I love to read your words for many reasons. I share a few things in common that are such blessings: two grown children and their spouses whom I love and who also love me dearly; three grandchildren that are my joy.
However, one blessing I don't have is a husband who holds my hand, says sweet things, enjoys life. My husband is an alcoholic and some days are very hard. I'm not feeling sorry for myself. I know that I am deeply blessed with many things. But I truly would love to have the deep and abiding love that you and Emery share. Blessings to you and yours.
Dawn said…
That sounds like something out of a good book I reckon! :-)
I like how you can word things so...picturesque. :-)


Love the picture.

Friday blessings to you and Emery!!

~ Dawn
Renee said…
Your picture and words are absolutely beautiful!
(*ü*) said…
With reading this blogentry, I could depict the chickens, the goat, the cat with kittens in a furball... You are great!
hugs from the Netherlands
Winda aka Dutch Quilter

ps. thank you for your comment on my blog
pps. give the kittens a cuddle, I adore cats and esp. kittens :)
Anonymous said…
Patty, it's breathtakingly ordinary and so beautiful. I felt like a moth flittering alongside you in the twilight! Thank you for writing such powerful words and sharing them with us.
TJ said…
Just beautiful! You definitely know how to paint a picture with your words.
R. Aastrup said…
Your post made me think of this hymn:

Abide with me, ’tis eventide!
The day is past and gone;
The shadows of the evening fall;
The night is coming on!
Within my heart a welcome Guest,
Within my home abide.

Refrain

O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide!
O Savior, stay this night with me;
Behold, ’tis eventide!

Abide with me, ’tis eventide!
Thy walk today with me
Has made my heart within me burn,
As I communed with Thee.
Thy earnest words have filled my soul
And kept me near Thy side.

Refrain

Abide with me, ’tis eventide!
And lone will be the night,
If I cannot commune with Thee,
Nor find in Thee my light.
The darkness of the world, I fear,
Would in my home abide.

Refrain
JenJen said…
Amy, I'm so sorry about your husband's illness.

I lost my partner of 10 years back in 2007 to that very illness.

~JM
JenJen said…
Thank you for this post. Evening is always such a peaceful time. The energy ebbs out of the day,the light fades, the air cools, and we all draw inward.

Gorgeous.

~JM

Popular Posts