Hard for me not to blog : )

At first morning light, the view outside seemed veiled, muted by fog, reminding me of what its like to look out of mosquito netting, a bit like an impressionistic painting. Slowly, as if to sneak in, the rain arrived, the sky darkened to night time proportions. The yellow glow of lights in neighbors windows shown forth in this morning darkness and then the rains came, first steady but light, but now its pouring cats and dogs. No pitter patter of rain drops on the roof, just loud drumming, peppered with the rolling sounds of thunder. I smile thinking about the weather mans forecast of a "slight chance of rain". There are chores waiting to be done. Hungry goats and chickens. I will get soaked if I head out to the barns now, so I will wait a bit, have some coffee, read a bit, smile that I am blogging when I promised myself to take a break from it. But there are times when I just seem to have to write or I will pop. Thoughts and words overflowing from my brain.
This morning I planned to wear my long old fashioned prairie style dress, spend the day quietly doing my housework. With the rain, comes mud and with mud comes dirty floors so it will be a floor washing day. Today will be a fine day for stepping back a bit in time, listening to the sounds of nature, no music playing, no man made sounds, just quiet so I can be enjoying the reality that I am living my dreams. There will be some time for reading, some time to chat with Melissa, who has started her studies to go from her present degree to a degree in nursing. This will be a very intense year for her. Only a handful of applicants are accepted into this program from the University of Wisconsin. The cream of the crop. I do feel almost smug when I think about all the negative comments from family and friends about our choice to homeschool. Seems like its worked out just fine in so many ways.
The storm is letting up some...I am however thankful for the rain for the garden. Just as I typed the phrase "letting up some", the heavens once again opened up and it began to pour.
Night before last something got into the hen house and killed my white duck, Larry. I was so sad. We spent part of the evening last night fixing the two weak spots where we think some critter was able to get in. I had smelled a skunk in the middle of the night so am wondering if that's what got Larry. Skunks are not good climbers but Lurch and Larry always slept on the floor of the hen house. There were two eggs set on a barrel ( they had small cracks in them so I just put them aside to later get rid of them) in the feed room of the hen house and they had been eaten, another sign of a skunks visit. This morning I found Lurch dead, something had killed him too. I just have no idea where this "something" is getting in. I feel like we need to just make our hen house a bit like Fort Knox ! Think perhaps its time to make a trip to the dog shelter in search of a good puppy that has the makings for a farm dog.


Comments

mikesgirl said…
Hi Patti - so sorry about Lurch and Larry. My daughter lost her whole flock of hens over the course of 3 days and everyday we worked the pen over til we thought it was secure. Our culprit was a raccoon. So glad you're having trouble keeping away from the computer!! Sounds selfish I know, but someone who writes like you do needs to write!
Yvonne said…
I'm happy to see you posting and very sorry about your little ducks. I hope you get it all figured out and find a good puppy too.
nancyr said…
Sad about the ducks. Sorry.

You might consider a dog that is about two years old. You can get a good idea of his personality, and see how he acts around livestock. Puppies are wonderful, but their personalities are a big question mark. When I wanted a dog that would be good with cats, we chose a 16 month old male and took him over to the cats at the Humane Society. He was friendly with them, so he came home with us. He was the best dog I ever had.

Glad to see you're back!
Cat said…
I'm so sorry about your ducks...so sad. I've only been a reader a short time, but missed your posts while you were off. Think I've only commented once before, but I do read.
Hi hon! So sorry about Lurch and Larry. That is awful. If you could find a dog with Great Pyrennes in it that would be a good dog. Sorry about the spelling! LOL! I think a dog would be best to help out. Huggles.
Patti~
I am so glad that you are back to blogging. I really enjoy your blog. You have a fantastic way of describing things. And you shine light of the simplier way of living and inspire to want a simplier way of living as well.
I am so sorry about your ducks being killed. That is very sad. They were such cute duckies.
Glad you are back,

Lisa in Texas = )
sulli said…
Thats too bad about your ducks Patti. Its tough to lose an animal. We have lost 2 ducks as well, and I think we are about to lose a chicken too...
Diannia said…
Hi Patti-I am sorry to hear about Lurch and Larry too! I loved the pics you've posted of them. Enjoy the rain and silent day!
TJ said…
Not Lurch and Larry! That's terrible. My heart aches just reading. I have so enjoyed the photos of them. I'm so sorry you lost them. I hope you are able to find the culprit and keep them out! A dog (Australian Shepards are great on the farm) may be just what you need for protection.

I'm glad you are blogging again. I find that I have so many stories to tell, and putting them on the blog means, that if someone doesn't want to hear it, they don't have to.
Anonymous said…
I am so pleased to see you back blogging, and so sorry for the loss of your sweet ducks. If you do adopt a farm dog from the shelter, you'll be saving his/her life as well as the lives of your farm animals...such a good idea. I hope the rest of your day is more peaceful.
debi said…
I am so glad you are still here. Your words are always calming and give me such a warm all's right with the world kind of feeling.So sorry about your ducks. We had a problem a few years back and it turned out to be a beautiful bob cat. He ate everyones animals until he was caught and moved.I wish we would get some of your rain here. it's been trying but so far nothing.
Anonymous said…
I'm sorry about your ducks, not a nice situation. You have a talent for writing - can't hide it under a bushel, so I'm glad you're back writing from time to time :-) At church the other day someone said that for some it is a talent to testify of Christ, and others have a talent to listen. Never thought about it that way before. Perhaps the same could be true of your writing whether it be via blog or books or personal journals.
nancyr said…
Regarding Michelle-Ozark Crafter's remark about a Great Pyrennes: My daughter, who lives in South Texas has a one year old Great Pyrenees that she wants to give to a good home. She is very sweet, and is wonderful with kids and other dogs and cats. They don't have any chickens, so I don't know about that.
She is one of half a dozen dogs Amy has rescued and needs to find good homes for.
Too bad you are not closer, so you could see her. The dog is a a gentle giant.

Popular Posts