Just An Ordinary Day

Emery let Pepper out this morning so I could catch another 40 winks. It felt good to sleep in a bit, but when I did get up, it was with both feet running. Got dressed, brushed my hair and pulled it back. Put on my apron as I was walking through the back door. Already the air was oppressive. Its not so much the heat as it is the humidity. I am glad it will soon be gone. It doesn't hang around in summer, its just dry heat then. Fed and hayed the goats, fed the cats and dog, fed the chickens and checked for eggs, they usually lay in the afternoon but with that snake still around, I find myself checking more often. Beating the snake to the nest sort of thing.
Watered the garden, picked some peas and tomatoes. Noticed the grass was getting tall by the north side of the house and under the clothesline, grabbed the mower and went to work. Mowed for about an hour, sweat was pouring off me by this time. I was thankful for my apron, it came in handy for wiping my brow. I called it quits and came in for some iced coffee. Sat by the fan and cooled off. As soon as I rested some, I went out front to trim the bushes and trim some branches off the tree. It was hot work, with leaves falling into my hair making me look a bit like mother earth, crowned with a wreath of leaves. It was now 11 am. The morning nearly gone.
My hands sore from all the work. Emery has been working hard every evening after work, last night he was cutting limbs until after 11. Needless to say, we both sleep soundly each night.
Tonight, we will cut some of the wood for the milking stand. We want to have the milking room all done by next weekend, just so its done before the real heat of the summer. So many plans, so many jobs to be done. But we love it.
Now its time for the indoor work to be done. Melanie is coming over this afternoon and we plan to do some sewing together. It is always fun to work on projects together with my girls. I wish Emery had some help with his projects. Our son enjoys the finer things in life and not physical labor !
If there is time, I will make some cookies after I get the floors washed.
Who needs a gym membership when you have a little homestead : )

Comments

JacquiG said…
What a busy and productive day!

I'm so jealous that you can spend the afternoon working on crafts with your daughter. With my Mum just gone back to England after two short weeks together, I get so envious of people who spend such wonderful mother-daughter time together. On this trip, Mum taught me a knitting stitch I'd been doing wrong. I miss her so much already.

Hope you had a good afternoon with Melanie!
JenJen said…
Thank you for that glimpse into your day!

Good luck with everything!

~JM

Popular Posts