The Hard Work Is Worth It





At 7: 30 this morning, trucks and road making equipment began to line up in front of our house. Emery dashed out to move our cars down the road so we could use them later. The road work was going to take place in front of our driveway, blocking us in. The noise and dust are already phenomenal. Walking out my back door felt like I had passed through into another time and place compared to what was happening outside my front door.
The chickens were hunting and clucking right along with the newest batch of chicks that are now big enough to be out scratching around with the others. Still young enough that they peep instead of cluck. The goats let me know I was a few minutes late with their feed, their bawling greeted me from across the yard. Impatient critters that seem to like things the same every day. I finished the animal chores, playing with the kittens for a bit, still not sure about that tiny gray kitty, it seems to have its daddy's temperament. I will keep working with it, loving it a bit extra. Went into the garden and felt so dismayed at the weed growth. With my sore knee I haven't been in the garden for a few days and this weekend Emery put up a couple new ceiling fans for us so his time in the garden was very limited. I watered some and then the joy came, the reward for all the hard work. Harvesting ! I filled a basket of spinach, a basket of collard greens, and found a few banana peppers ready to eat and some curly parsley for cooking with. The peas are nearly ready to pick and the cucumbers are in full bloom. Green beans are just beginning and tomatoes all big and green. I filled another basket of mint for afternoon iced tea. Potatoes and onions will be ready to be harvested in a couple weeks, I love harvesting potatoes. Pulling up my apron to make a bit of a sack, filling it over and over with the bounty of our earth. Baskets fill to the brim of whites and reds. The scent of the rich brown earth all around me and on my hands and feet. Meal time, plates set with steaming goodness, picked that very morning. It is worth all the hard work, the blisters on my hands, yes, even with gloves on you can get blisters hoeing. Its worth being bone weary. For many many years, each Friday night Emery would read this at the table before we ate. He always said I was this kind of wife. The girls would nod their heads and agree, so sweetly. I always saw it as something to aspire to and still do. It is my goal each and every day.
Proverbs 31
10 wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
11 Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12 She brings him good, not harm,
all the days of her life.
13 She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands.
14 She is like the merchant ships,
bringing her food from afar.
15 She gets up while it is still dark;
she provides food for her family
and portions for her servant girls.
16 She considers a field and buys it;
out of her earnings she plants a vineyard.
17 She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks.
18 She sees that her trading is profitable,
and her lamp does not go out at night.
19 In her hand she holds the distaff
and grasps the spindle with her fingers.
20 She opens her arms to the poor
and extends her hands to the needy.
21 When it snows, she has no fear for her household;
for all of them are clothed in scarlet.
22 She makes coverings for her bed;
she is clothed in fine linen and purple.
23 Her husband is respected at the city gate,
where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.
24 She makes linen garments and sells them,
and supplies the merchants with sashes.
25 She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come.
26 She speaks with wisdom,
and faithful instruction is on her tongue.
27 She watches over the affairs of her household
and does not eat the bread of idleness.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
her husband also, and he praises her:
29 "Many women do noble things,
but you surpass them all."
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Give her the reward she has earned,
and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.

Comments

The Stricklands said…
We are so late getting our garden started. We may put our house on the market when it is finished, so I hesitated to do one at all. Our 3 little sweeties were convincing, so this weekend was full of tillers, mulch, new soil, and a lot of baths :0) Today the very sporactic planting begins. When a 3, 5, and 6 year old choose the plants, the harvest consists of things they love to eat. Our garden will have melons and strawberries. I bought tomatoes just for me. After reading your post, I may have to add some potatoes! Proverbs 31 is a passage I absolutely love. Have a fun day away from all the construction mess and take care of your knee.
novascotiagal said…
Hi Patty,
I am of course familiar with the opening lines of that passage, about a good woman being worth more than rubies, but it has been a long time since I read the whole thing - and I wasn't a wife and mother then. It's powerful, and lovely at the same time. And it is the goal I would strive for as well. I'll be printing that out, and making it part of my mindful readings.
I am curious - I know that honoring the wife and home is part of the Jewish tradition, and that the wife initiates the Sabbath on Friday with prayers and candles - is reading this passage part of that tradition?

The effort it takes to be a good wife and mother - to acknowledge that effort and honor it, on a weekly basis rather than just "mothers day" once a year. It really does recognize the importance of "home."

Thanks once again for your words and thoughts, and recipes!
Lovely goodies from the garden! And yes I love Proverbs 31!
Mimi said…
that is certainly something each of us as wifes and mothers should strive for.
I hope the construction in front of your house doesn't last long...it can be really messy...
novascotiagal said…
I did some googling, and found the answer to my question - Proverbs 31 can be part of the Sabbath tradition - the husband reading it, just as you were describing it. I'm smiling - there is a lot of wisdom there.
Patty said…
Yes, its part of the friday night (erev shabbat) candle lighting/welcoming the sabbath, and along with the husband reading Proverbs 31, Eshet Chayil (Woman of Valor) he also blesses each child. It's a wonderful tradition that sets the tone for the entire family. We stopped this practice when we started going to the Mennonite church.
Anonymous said…
I'd so love to plant a veggie garden but it is in shade most of the day. Proverbs 31 is my all time favourite scripture :-)

Your photos are always stunning but the ones lately are outstanding!
Dana and Daisy said…
As impatient critters go: my cat bangs the cabinet door open and shut if she does not get her food on time. She has started banging earlier and earlier. Who is the trained one I wonder?

Your spinach look so good. I love fresh spinach!

Popular Posts