"We are what we repeatedly do."

Aristotle said, "We are what we repeatedly do." Which if you really think about it, it is true.
There is a lady I know here in town that is known for returning things to the store after she buys them. 99% of the time when I see her, she is in line at some store returning something. She has been jokingly labeled "The Returner". Of course this is just a silly level example of what Aristotle is talking about. But think about the things you repeatedly do, it may just be the thing that defines you to others. Makes you really look at your habits and the things you talk about the most. There is another saying, " We tend to become like that which we love." Another little quote that makes us look long and hard at what we love.
There was a time in our lives, several years when we had to be dealing daily with someone with serious mental issues. I found myself talking so much about this situation that it began to define me. It was what I repeatedly focused on, talked about, gave attention to. I hated that and we just simply had to remove ourselves from the situation. We couldn't help them, no one has been able to.
On a lesser level, things like jumping on each and every new band wagon that rolls into town can become the thing that defines us. Owning every new cook book on the planet, starting every new craft that appears in the magazines, buying every new gadget that comes on the market promising to make our meals better, our house cleaner and our life more simple, these things can be so much a part of our lives that others feel that's what they know us for.
The way we eat, the millions of diets we try, same thing.
But how about if prayer became such a part of our lives, done so often that we were defined by that. Or if we always were the peace keeper, or the compassionate one, by repeatedly doing acts of compassion and peace keeping. What if we repeatedly refused to judge others, or always chose to be humble ? To become what we repeatedly do. . .
In parenting, what do our children know us for ? Patience or yelling ? How have our deeds defined us in their eyes ? If we are what we repeatedly do, then what are we doing ?
A favorite picture of my daughter Melissa, who right now might tell you she is defined by her studies : )

Comments

Margo in Maine said…
How true...'the woman we feed is the woman we become'...influence of others is very important....what we put in is will define us...I choose Life, Love and Laughter...M of Maine
Mimi said…
you have made me think...just what does other people know me for?
I will pay more attention to my actions and see if I can define myself by my actions and attitude...
thanks for making me aware of my definition...
Mimi
Renee said…
This made me really stop and think; I have some prioritizing to do! Thanks for sharing.
Dana and Daisy said…
Oh these posts are so hard for me to read because so many times I regret my own actions in relationships that I have not cherished. Lie renee, I have some things that I need to get in order. Some may be too late. What do you do then?
Patty said…
Dana, it is never to late to make peace within your heart over relationships that have not gone the way we wish. When it seems as if its "too late" there is always our own heart to mend and build good from. Then it becomes apparent, that its never really too late on our part.
ellemenope said…
What do you do, Patty, if the relationship is beyond mending from your end? When you have tried all you can but there is nothing left that you can do without sacrificing relationships that are more important? I am really struggling right now with a broken relationship that I can't mend without sacrificing my immediate family, especially my children, and that I simply just won't do. It's hard.

Your posts are very thought-provoking and I so appreciate your decision to continue to blog.
Patty said…
ellemnope,
Some relationships are not meant to last forever. We adopted a boy that was so wounded we couldn't mend the brokeness. He was violent, and as he grew he became a serious danger to all of us. We had to cut ties. Toxic relationships need not be fed and nurtured, but our hearts have to find peace in the fact that sometimes it doesn't end the way we imagine it should. For us, it was a higher calling to keep the other children and ourselves safe and out of harms way and there never was a level in which a relationship could be maintained with him and not be abused mentally. My peace is in, knowing that relationships take two parties to keep it healthy. One one is sick and brings in stuff we can't let into our lives for a number of reasons, we just have to accept that and harbor no ill feelings, but just let it go.
Foxy5 said…
hmmm thanks for those thoughts this morning. I would definitely like to be remembered and thought of for chasing after my Father's heart than for yelling or talking too much.

Something that I've been thinking about lately is "Be the change that you want to see in the world"

Like the way you make me think. :) Thanks

Popular Posts