"Wherever You Go, There You Are"





I am a huge fan of Richard Carlson's books and find myself sitting down with his book "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff" quite often. It's the kind of book that makes you examine yourself and I like that type of book. It's a book that makes you stretch your thinking, look honestly at yourself and grow from that.
I hurt my knee last week and now find myself being restricted. I don't do the "keeping still" thing very well. I wanted to hike tomorrow but that's out of the picture now. I wanted to work in the garden today, and that's out too. Ice packs and keeping my leg elevated are my "chores" for now. It does provide me with some time to read and today I picked several books off the shelf to leaf through. . . one of those books was Richard Carlson's book mentioned above.
I turned to chapter 54 "Understand the Statement, Wherever You Go, There You Are" I have read it before, many times probably, but today it struck a deep cord, resonating down to the core of my being. One of Oprah's, "Light Bulb Moments".
I am going to type out this small chapter for you, its profound and has much wisdom for how we look at our lives.

"This is the title of a super book by Jon Kabat-Zinn. As the title suggests, wherever you go, you take yourself with you ! The significance of this statement is that you can teach you to stop consistently wishing you were somewhere else - on vacation, with another partner, in a different career, a different home, a different circumstance - somehow we would be happier and more content. We wouldn't !
The truth is, if you have destructive mental habits - if you get annoyed and bothered easily, if you feel angry and frustrated a great deal of the time, or if you're constantly wishing things were different, these identical tendencies will follow you, wherever you go. And the reverse is also true. If you are a generally happy person who rarely gets annoyed and bothered, then you can move from place to place, from person to person, with very little negative impact.
Someone once asked me, " What are the people like in California?" I asked him, " What are the people like in your home state?" He replied, "Selfish and greedy." I told him that he would probably find the people in California to be selfish and greedy.
Something wonderful begins to happen with the simple realization that life, like an automobile, is driven from the inside out, not the other way around. As you focus more on becoming more peaceful with where you are, rather than focusing on where you would rather be, you begin to find peace right now, in the present. Then, as you move around, try new things, and meet new people, you carry that sense of inner peace with you. It's absolutely true that "Wherever you go, there you are."
The photos are just some random shots from my files
A favorite hiking trail that we take quite often
Melissa and Melanie on one of our hikes in California
Sunday Lunch for Emery and I
Wind chimes, a gift from Melanie
Wildflowers

Comments

I hope that knee gets well really soon!
Dana and Daisy said…
Hi Patty. I've read the Zinn book a long time ago. I took similar thoughts form it, and it helped me to see that usually it is me that is creating the same episodes over and over again in my life. Not until I began to deal with my own personal hurts and changed my perspective, did the view IN my life change too.

Today Steve mentioned that the people near our cabin are so friendly and invite conversation. but maybe it is us who are open to it and therefore it comes to us. when we are there, we're relaxed, we slow down, we walk and say hi to people. we wave at oncoming cars. So, maybe this is echoes your example about people from California. Perhaps we find people friendlier, because we ourselves are friendlier.
LBP said…
I too am a fan of Richard Carlsons! My favorite is "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with your Family".

Sorry to hear about your knee! I will be praying for a quick recovery.
Blessings
Linda
Renie Burghardt said…
Hi Patty,

Loved the beautiful pictures. Hope your knee gets better soon. Love the title "Wherever You Go, There You Are," for it's so true. All too often we are wishing we could be somewhere else, doing something else, instead of enjoying the moment in time we are experiencing. Thank you for sharing Chapter 54. It is profound indeed.

Blessings,

Renie
Margo in Maine said…
Trust your knee get better soon...-I am sittig in my office upstairs and looking out the window and the sun is peeking through the clouds...This truly is the day the Lord has made....how special is your setting you and your beloved..how true our world is what we make it wherever we are...I choose the love, laugh and live....Maine
The Stricklands said…
Hugs to your knee! I so agree that WE choose how we perceive this world. I pray that I choose joy and peace everyday regardless of what comes my way. I don't want to be that grouchy older woman that every child on the block avoids :0)
Anonymous said…
Hope your knee recovers quickly! I find myself identifying with that chapter in the book you quoted... I think I will add that to my reading list! Thanks for sharing as always!

Blessings!

Popular Posts