Soft Molasses Cookies

This is a family favorite and today seemed like the perfect day to make them.
From Country Woman issue July/Aug. 1989
Soft Molasses Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening (not margarine)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 eggs, lightly beaten
4 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/4 tsp. baking soda
2 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, shortening and sugar until light-colored and fluffy. Beat in molasses and eggs; set mixture aside. In another large bowl, combine flour (no need to sift), salt, baking soda, ginger, cloves and cinnamon. Blend thoroughly with wire whisk. Gradually mix flour mixture into creamed ingredients until dough is blended and smooth. Roll dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip tops in granulated sugar; place 2 1/2 inches apart on greased cookie sheet.

Bake at 350°F for 11 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool on wire rack. Store in tightly covered container to maintain softness.

Yield: About 3 dozen cookies.

Comments

uhoava gnu said…
Hi! After a long time visiting here, and it feels like having a cup of coffee at friend's home :) Now I moved my favourites in Google Reader and it will be easier to follow the foreign blogs (I used to use a Finnish bloglist). I have to try tre recipe, though first I need to find out the meaning of "solid vegetable shortening" and "molasses" :D
Sunny days for you and your family!
Anonymous said…
Looks Yummy! Thanks for the recipe! I may have to try baking a batch this evening!
Marci said…
These look really good. I LOVE soft molasses cookies, but have not had a good recipe. I will try them.
Unknown said…
I make these a lot! I got a purple ribbon at our county Fair for these!

Popular Posts