Quiet Time

"Quiet time" is usually a phrase we use for that time when we want children in our life to calm down and find something quiet to do. Honestly, it's more often for us, then for them. We want some quiet time for us.
We all need time to pull aside from the busy-ness of life to become a bit introspective and just think.
I have known a few folks that are non stop, always on the go, fighting any opportunity to be quiet and alone with their own thoughts. Not me, I am always seeking times and situations that are conducive to just thinking.
This morning is gray, no sun, just a thick layer of clouds filling in every space of the sky. Its not the kind of day to lay in the grass or sit on the back steps with breakfast. Its the kind of day that makes me want to hike along the waters edge. Where the grays and muted greens blend so well.

Today I was thinking about all that has transpired in my life in the past couple weeks. Its not that my thoughts have changed really, more like there were finally words and slots in which my thoughts now fit.
I am the very same person I was a month ago, except I feel more hopeful perhaps. But... and that little word brings with it a huge change. I have said how I have felt, doesn't matter that I am the very same person and feel the same as I have for what seems like eons. Articulating my thoughts regarding The Secret has changed others around me. I am the same, only I have dared to say clearly what I feel. That has sent so many running, crossing fingers, pushing me away, and in an instant created their judgment that I am different. How strange that is to me. It makes me wonder, how we would judge each other if we were all a bit more transparent.
I am nothing but thankful for being able to be open and honest about what I feel. Its much like tossing up the grains of wheat in the wind and letting that chaff be blown away.


We all know lots of people that represent their lives one way, but we all know the reality. From the years of homeschooling I know mother after mother that shares an imaginary life of their now grown children. Hiding their hurt behind the facade that all is wonderful, carefully wording any sentence regarding their childrens lives to make it sound as though they are all wonderful missionary minded children, when their children are living with someone, had children born to them outside of marriage, maybe they had children on drugs. But, the mothers work hard at creating an alternate reality and talk badly about folks that have the very same real problems they have. No one can reach out and comfort those ladies living a lie. One such lady even has a web site to help homeschoolers raise godly children, pretending that her children are all perfect. Its sad and so un-necessary. Most of the time, people know the truth and if they are good friends, they would tell them, "this too shall pass" and if it doesn't, then you love them anyway. No one can offer to pray for her, that would crumble her castle in the sand. How many have heard about the folks giving marriage counseling only to find out their own marriage is a sham ? Being real, honest and saying how you feel is a risk, and perhaps that is why few are willing to be real. There are so many lined up to say to their neighbor, hold my cloak while I gather up the stones to throw at this person. All the while casting stones to make themselves look better.
Maybe its time for folks to stop playing games, and start living in honesty. Sure, it shakes up your world, but what's left is far more authentic.

At the same time, you can find joy in your quiet time because what is left is truth.

Comments

LBP said…
I just stumbled onto your blog and have very much enjoyed it. I too love living in the country, gardening, and taking photos. Your blog is very peaceful to read on a morning that I was so rushed.

Popular Posts