Lessons in Life

Have you ever met someone that has one mishap after another ? One bad thing on the tails of the last one. Drama all around them.
I recently read something that made a lot of sense about folks like that.
Life hands out lessons for us to learn. One could even say God sends them our way to teach us something valuable. Hopefully we "get it" and learn the lesson that was hidden in the experience, but there are times we just plain are thick skulled and can't see the forest for the trees. Something happens that holds in it a golden lesson but we spend so much time on the experience, reliving whatever it was that happened that we fail to look deep into it and see what life was trying to teach us.
Then, the lesson comes again, maybe in almost the same circumstances, maybe something very different. Over and over things will happen until we get it.
For some, its almost like standing at the blackboard writing a sentence over and over a hundred times, the teacher trying to get the message into our head regarding some behavior that well, frankly isn't working for us. When we fail to sit back in the quiet time, looking deep into what has happened and see what lesson was in it for us, its just gunna keep happening. At some point, when we don't get it, then we are left alone to fall flat on our face, considered unteachable I guess.
Maybe its a matter of faith, maybe its a matter of letting go, or maybe its a matter of letting God be more the pilot.
We have all met or know the person that has an almost daily emergency. They can't seem to let things just unfold. They spend more time and energy worrying about what MIGHT happen, that they miss so much good, so much joy in letting life unfold. Those are the control freaks of the world. The Chicken Littles who are waiting for the sky to fall. Whatever lesson is out there for them, gets missed, they are too busy living in the land of "what if's" and "maybe's". Too exhausted by the worry to ever have the clear mind to see what is really taking place.
Don't let yourself be one of those folks. Its cheating yourself out of so much and most folks want to run from you.
Simple living is about this kind of thing, letting life be simple as it unfolds. Knowing you can handle things and learn from them, no matter what it is. Just be willing to learn from life.

York Maine

Comments

Thank you for this post. I've known people like this and it tears at my heart. My mind becomes divided, I want to run from them and at the same time, that still small voice tells me to stay in relationship with them as a source of connection to peace, not that I'm the peace but I can be helper along their journey. It's not something I can do in my own power, "I" become drained! I think it also helps me to see how dependent I am for my own peace. My Savior is the one that gives me hope and joy NOT "my" positive attitude. It is a choice though.
shdware said…
First, let me say that I really love your blogs. While I think your post is insightful, I think it is really unfair to assume that those who always have "drama" around them are too thick headed to learn from their experiences.
Patty said…
dear shdware,
I appreciate your opinion, but I still see that life gives us lessons and when we refuse for whatever reason to learn from it, we have to go through the same kind of experience over and over until we get it. If you are a Christian, perhaps it means surrendering more to God, if you are buddhist, it may mean you are failing to respond in the appropriate way to a situation.
If you are talking about the Law of Attraction than the drama that has you constantly in a tizzy, is no doubt the result of putting out the wrong statements.
Just how I see it, but I still appreciate that you have a different insight
shdware said…
I'm not responding to stir up contention, so I hope it doesn't come across that way. If it does, I'm sorry. It's not my nature and I'm pretty sure it's not yours either. I agree with you in more ways than you might imagine, and this being the first subject I left a comment about may not display the right message about me.

As a Christian, I do believe that surrendering to God and choosing His way over our own will ALWAYS save us from burdens. The right decision is not always the easiest, though if we turn to Him, I know He will lighten our load and make things easier. Does that really mean that because we have that trial that there's something we don't get? Life is about learning, no doubt, but I don't believe life's trials happen twice because one person or another didn't get it right the first time. Maybe they have been tested and proved strong enough to handle that same trial again to teach someone near them; an experience may be sent so there is a real life example to show their children how to do it the right way. God knows our stengths and our weaknesses. I think He sends trials sometimes to certain people to use the experience as well as the person experienceing as His intruments. I don't pretend to know His intentions. To be honest, I'm not sure I want that kind of responsibility. I just wanted to show you a bit more from my perspective than what was stated earlier...not start an arguement.
Patty said…
I probably didn't clarify enough. I wasn't talking about the trails in life, but about the folks with constant drama in their lives. The everything is an emergency, the everything is major, the sky is falling kind of thinking, combined with some opportunity to learn from things that happen over and over to us. When you get hit by a car crossing the street blindfolded there is probably a lesson in it for you. Like don't wear a blindfold crossing the street. choosing the wrong type of man/woman over and over, and after 4 failed marriages you get it. Probably could have figured it out after number one had the person taken the time. Learning to not worry so much about what might happen, that sort of drama.
By the way, I am all in favor of a good discussion !

Popular Posts