Party Plans and thoughts on becoming a Grandmother

Its so much fun planning parties. The next party on the calendar is Melanie's baby shower. We have all the invitations sent out, the decorations purchased and the menu is still in the planning stages. I keep changing my mind on what to have.
I remember so well my own first baby shower. My mother and sisters hosted it for me and what fun it was to open presents just for this tiny miracle inside me. Back 27 years ago, people still made many of their gifts for baby showers. Hand knit blankets and sweaters. Diapers with fancy stitching along the edging and soft flannel blankets hemmed with feather stitching. Those days are gone for the most part. There are a few of us out there that still love hand made things, my own daughters included, for which I am so thankful.
I felt a bit dreamy when I made out the invitations to the shower, wondering about Mei-Lings own wedding some day and her own baby shower. Wondering how my own mother felt when my girls were to be born, I know she loved them, I know she was excited, and I know she had as much fun as I am having making tiny baby things, but did she sit thinking about how fast time flies and how strange in a way it seems to see your own child, with child. And how different it feels to be expecting a grandchild. All the same kind of love as when you have your own, but different, its more like a two layer cake compared to a single layer cake. I feel love for my own child, having her child and then there is all this love for this yet to be born wee miracle. Its so beyond words. With my own daughter having a child, I know her tastes, her likes and dislikes for baby things so its easy to buy for, but with Priscilla and Stevens baby to come, I have no idea of the styles she likes or the kinds of baby things that are important to her. It makes it difficult to buy baby things. In time perhaps I will know more.
I would like to have a chat with my mother right now and compare notes, share how we feel.
I am writing a book for Mei-Ling about how I feel about her arrival. How I feel about each and every step in this great event. I'll give it to her some day, when the moment is right.
There is profound joy in life, around each and every corner.

All the party goodies

Comments

smilnsigh said…
Such a lovely idea, writing the book!!!!

'MN'
SuBee said…
I know exactly what you mean about knowing your daughters likes/dislikes for her baby. As I wait for my 2 new grands I'm having the same puzzle. The mamas are both my DIL's, and I just wish I was sure about the right thing to say/do/make/buy. It's difficult. The other thing I wanted to point out is being a grandma made me feel like a part of a great continuim - like I really belong now, somehow, to the bigger universe having been allowed to touch the lives of 2 generations. Too high-falutin? Oh well..... :-)
Patty said…
Hi Rebecca, My personal opinion is that each and every baby is a welcome miracle and deserves a shower of gifts. I am the third child and I loved hearing that there was a baby shower for me. I was given two showers when Melanie was about to arrive. Each baby, each time a momma is pregnant, is such a joyous time, it deserves to be celebrated !
Patty said…
Su Bee, I agree one hundred percent about being part of such a bigger picture when you become a grandparent. Its cosmic in nature I proportion !
Patti, I hope that you will be able to get to know Priscilla better. Are you able to spend one on one time with her, maybe suggest that the two of you work on a quilt together or something which would be a common goal and a great opportunity to get to know each other better? Just a thought...
I wonder if others have experiences or ideas they'd care to share?
Patty said…
Wendy, I would love that but she doesn't say anything. She does not quilt, it gives her a headache and she doesn't like any handwork so its hard to find a common ground. She has trouble communicating with others so it makes it difficult. I have tried over and over to talk about baby things but she wants all new things that she wants to buy. I started an afghan for her and she said, "oh" when she saw it. : (

Popular Posts