Tuesday Night at The Lockwood's




Tonight was Tuesday night at the Lockwood's. The children come over for supper and we spend lots of time laughing and enjoying the meal.
I am always trying to snap pictures of everyone and sometimes they just don't want to co-operate with me. For instance, tonight Melanie made a face every single time I pointed the camera in her direction. So the only pictures I got of her and Casi, are one with her making some strange face. Not so sure she would want them on the blog so I left them out. Children love to tease their parents, no matter how old they are ! I will get her next time for sure : )
We had Amish Oven Fried Chicken, boiled new potatoes, corn on the cob, Amish fried onion patties, cole slaw and potato rolls.
For dessert there was "left over" sweet potato cake and some ice cream.
Everyone seemed satisfied when they left the table.
Its so much fun cooking for the family. I just love sitting back and seeing everyone so happy.
I did take this opportunity to remind them all that it is a week until my birthday, of course they all laughed at my "childlike enthusiasm".
I will share the recipe for the Amish Oven Fried Chicken. Its so good and always moist.

this is from the cookbook "Cooking from quilt Country" by Marcia Adams


OVEN FRIED CHICKEN

serves 4-5

This is the best fried chicken recipe I've tried, bar none. Its is quick to prepare and doesn't require watching. The outside is crusty, and the inside is moist. The flour mixture can be made up in large amounts and stored to use as needed.

1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup (2/3 stick) butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried marjoram (optional)
8-9 chicken pieces - legs, thighs, breasts

Place the oil and butter in a shallow cooking pan ( a jelly roll pan is perfect) and put in a preheated 375 oven to melt. Set aside.
In a large paper sack, combine the flour and seasonings. Roll the chicken pieces, 3 at a time, in the melted oil-butter mixture, then drop them in the sack and shake to cover. Place on a dish or wax paper until you have them all done.
Place the chicken in the pan, skin side down. Bake for 45 minutes. With a spatula, turn over and bake 5-10 minutes longer, or until the top crust begins to bubble. Serve hot or cold, but the crust texture is better if the chicken is not refrigerated before eating. If you can afford the calories, the pan drippings make an absolutely divine gravy for either mashed potatoes or Baking Powder Biscuits.

The onion pattie recipe is in the same book. One of my favorite cookbooks. The photos are wonderful along with all the recipes.

Comments

Oh Patty, I've always admired American fried chicken and this sounds absolutely gorgeous. I'm definitely making it as I have all the indredients in the house. Providence indeed!
Jenny said…
I've made that chicken recipe for my family and they just loved it. Isn't it a wonderful book. some great recipes and photos.
Nancy said…
The "fried" chicken looks great. I haven't fried chicken in a long time prefering to let "The Colonel" do mine. :-) But I might try the oven fried once temps cool off some where the oven doesn't heat my house up so much.
Tina Leigh said…
Patty, yalls meal looked so good & so nice to see everyone sitting at the table. You have a nice family. I'm gonna make that chicken! I'll let you know how it turns out!!

Popular Posts