Stitches of love.... lasting beyond our years

When I was going through some things today, I came upon some samplers my mother did. The one with the black embroidery thread was her first embroidery, done at age 5, 81 years ago now. It was done at the knee of my great grandmother Alberta Jane Neil instructing my mother. The other piece I am sharing is one was done in 1976 as you can see by her signature and date on the bottom right corner.
They are true treasures to me and also inspire me to do a sampler for myself. I have two more samplers she did as a young girl but they are framed and I couldn't get a really good shot of them.
My mother and my aunt have done some beautiful embroidery. I shared with you the table cloths my aunt recently sent me.
Now that my mother has been gone for 20 years, these items are even more special to me. I have dresser scarves she made, a Christmas table cloth with napkins, and other cherished works of her hand.
My aunt has given me table cloths she has done and a lovely hankie case. I need to embroider some things for my daughters to treasure in the coming years. Stitches of love.... lasting beyond our years.

My mom at age 5 in the left hand corner with her first glasses on. My grandfather is holding my uncle.


Comments

Kathie said…
What lovely treasures to have.
Isn't it amazing the skills very young children had way back when. Your treasures are very special and I love the photo of your mum in her little cloche hat (model T Ford behind?). I often look at very old samplers on antique websites and wonder at the skills - no telly has probably got something to do with it.
Jenny said…
You are very lucky to have such beautiful pieces.
Anonymous said…
What wonderful treasures from your mother and grandmother! I have nothing like that as no-one in my family did any sort of sewing, and if they did, it wasn't treasured by relatives. Such a shame. It would be wonderful for you to do a sampler and then pass these things on to your own children :-)
Mimi said…
Beautiful samplers

elizabeth
http://elizabeth-themerryrose.blogspot.comjp

Popular Posts