Fabrics of the Day




It feels a bit lonely here today with everyone gone. I took my dad to the airport this morning and we shared a tearful good-bye. To sooth my sadness I stopped off at a huge JoAnn fabric store and used the gift card my friend gave me for my birthday. No matter how beautiful the fabric was, I was still missing my family !
Isn't that much like all the things we do to chase away some sort of problem ? People eat when they are depressed, or lonely or shop, yet after the meal is done, or the snacking, the feelings are still there.
I am excited about my new fabrics though. Cute pink and white gingham for an apron, white cotton to make a copy of my great grandmothers apron and I found the perfect lace that is a lot like what is on my Nana's old apron.
I found some great pimento color print quilt fabric and a yard of some wonderful Chinese brocade to make a baby blanket in the future.
I also purchased some kona cotton for a new Amish quilt that I want to make as shown in the picture next to the fabric.
It feels almost wrong that I have nothing pressing to do at the moment. Maybe it makes me feel a bit restless. I wandered around the property, embracing the cooler weather and seeing the green shoots that are popping up from the recent rains. I feel a bit reflective, thinking about how blessed I am with my family. Children all happy and making such good lives for themselves. Confident, strong character and accomplished young people. Each one knows how to call on the Lord. I know in no time at all there will be another generation in my family, perhaps already one on the way ! The prayers I have prayed for so many years have been answered.
The pictures....
Apron fabrics
Quilt fabrics
Little "plain" dresses hanging up for the future
Fabric for a baby blanket.....will it be used within year I wonder ?

Comments

Granny said…
Patty, I hate that empty feeling when everyone leaves. I've only experienced it when my parents leave after visiting but you've had kids and sisters and dad all leave at once almost. You just get yourself some more rest and then start working with all that gorgeous fabric!

Judy L.
Genuine Lustre said…
Patty -- I have read every diet/nutrition book to come down the pike, but am currently reading something that has made a giant lightbulb come on in my head. "Life is Hard, Food is Easy," talks about head hunger and heart hunger. It's been out for a while and I found it at the library. Recommended reading!
Marci said…
Pat, start on those fall projects. You have been itching to spin. Get out your wheel. It helps when you get busy with something. If you lived closer, I would ask you over tomorrow to help me do my corn!!! =)
Oh, I feel for you. I remember after my daughter's wedding, how empty I felt for awhile. She married a wonderful young man but I still missed her. Now they have been married seven years and have three beautiful children (if I say so myself).

The fabric is beautiful. One nice thing about sewing when you're sad, you don't have extra pounds to take off later. :)

Ask me how I know... May you be greatly blessed in the coming weeks.
Patty said…
Miss Marci,
I wish I was close enough to help with the corn.
Spinning sounds like just the right thing to do tomorrow !
Anonymous said…
The fabrics you bought are all lovely. The brocade will make a wonderful blanket and the Amish diamond-in-a-square will look fabulous in your chosen colours. Allow yourself to feel sad for a while, let your hands be busy and your heart will soon feel light again :-) I have loved all the photos of the wedding - thanks for letting us have a peek into such a special day for your family.
Hi Patty
It seems you are looking forward to being a grandma! I've really enjoyed reading about the wedding and all it's preparations thank you for shariing this. Have a good time with all of those beautiful fabrics.
dot said…
The fabrics are beautiful!
Sunny said…
New fabric-perfect way to soothe the blues! If all else fails, you can come visit me!

Popular Posts