22 Days Until the Wedding




This morning I awoke with the thought of 22 days left until the wedding. The idea of just 3 weeks left made me feel slightly overwhelmed and that's not a feeling I have very often.
Maybe I woke up this way because our air conditioner in the living room died yesterday. It was 94 in most of the house all day. We have a small 110 AC in Melanie's old bedroom ( I wonder if we will ever call that room a guest room, or will it always be "Melanie's Old Room" ? ) so we headed off to sleep in there. Its a full size bed and it seemed so small to us. Emery's feet were hanging off the end most of the night.
By the time I was up this morning, he had a spare AC in the living room. He beamed for rescuing his damsel in distress and commented on how smart it was of him to hold on to this old AC. I often tease him about how he has so much in his work shop, now I won't be so quick to do that.
Maybe it was the heat or maybe its just the reality of the wedding being so close, whatever it was, I had a hard time getting going this morning. When you have so much to do, it just seems easier to sit with a good book and ignore reality altogether !
I wandered around the house a bit. Folded some fabric on my sewing table. Touched my quilting frame tenderly, as if it was an elderly grandmother feeling lonely.
I noticed some dust on the kerosene lamp which made me long for cold winter nights when the stove is glowing, the house smells of fresh baked bread and conversation is soft and easy.
My eyes fell longingly to my spinning wheel. No time to work on the yarn I plan on sending to Alena just yet. I love how its coming out and so want to sit there most of the day, lost in the hum of the wheel. Towards the end of the summer I feel almost desperate for cool weather, not so much for the actual weather, but for the things I love to do in the seasons of bare trees and crisp apples. I love the feeling that comes with hauling in wood from the woodshed, dusting off the cold and being embraced with the warmth touch of a cozy heat.
For now, I will have to just dream about such times and dust my old friends off and know that soon enough they will be the toys I play with.
Steven hints that they have set a date for near his birthday in October. It's a bit like putting the horse before the cart since they are not officially engaged, but thier enthusiasm is a delight. That should happen any time now. Joyous times in the Lockwood home with all our children blessed with great loves. I so wish the Lord would have blessed us with 12 more wonderful children to fill the house for years to come.


Comments

Patti said…
Oh - but you will have grandchildren filling the house before you know it!
Granny said…
Patty, I'm so ready for cool weather, the smells of Fall. Summer seems to have been so long and hot and I know it isn't over yet.

Busy times at your house .. that's for sure.

Judy L.

Popular Posts