Just an Old Fashioned Girl in High Top Shoes



I may be 51 but my heart is still that of a girl, an old fashioned girl. This morning as I was getting dressed I thought about what I was putting on. Long slip, full of tiny tucks, long full skirt to my ankles, long black stockings, black granny type boots. I pull my hair up, twisting the sides and looking like I stepped out of some German story book about the Grandmother. After fixing a breakfast of 7 grain hot cereal, it was time to sit at my spinning wheel and get some yarn made. The house is silent with the exception of the sound of wind chimes blowing in the wind on the front porch. Fergus has a real bark now and is enjoying the sound of himself. So there is that occasional barking to break the quiet. At times its hard to know from my daily life what century I am living in. The computer being the dead give away to the answer. Without the computer and digital camera oh yes, we do have a phone. But no cell phone. Other than those items it would be hard to know what year it is.
There are the usual chores yet to be done as the sun announces the new day. Plus some additional needs such as the rabbits needing to be combed and chicken nesting boxes to be filled with clean new hay.
Somewhere in the day I will do a bit of hand work and some quilting. Then there is the cooking and the cleaning to be done. Oh yes, there are clothes to be washed and hung on the lines too.
Days are busy but flexible enough to allow for an impromptu
tea party with a friend. And its not a big deal if a an old book pulls me into the story and half the day is gone before I can put it down. There is always tomorrow !

Comments

Finn said…
Very beautifully written. I am in agreement with you. It sounds like the best possible place to be...*VBS*
Christine said…
How heavenly!

A quick question: Have I asked you how would I start learning to spin?

Another question: I posted a question about soap making on my blog. I noticed you are a soap maker. I would be blessed if you shared your wisdom with me.
Patty said…
I learned to spin from the local spinners guild. I went to a meeting to see about spinning and everyone there offered to teach me. I was hooked from the start.
Wish you were closer I would just have you come over and learn. If you are heading this way sometime be sure to let me know. My email address is on my profile.
I didn't see your question about soapmaking which entry was it under?
I love reading your posts! There is quite a bit of an old fashioned girl inside me too...who longs to be feminine! I love the granny boots. I saw some cute ones at the store today and was thinking how great they would look (and be comfortable!) with my denim skirts!

I do think I was born 100 years too late :c)

Bonnie
Genuine Lustre said…
Cute shoes. I have a pair, but would like to find some with a little high ( maybe 1.5 inch) feminine heel.

Popular Posts