Generations


This is a picture of my great great Grandmother, Harriet Amelia Densmore born in 1846. She is standing outside her home in Noel, Nova Scotia. There is nothing all that remarkable about a photo of a ancestor standing in front of her home but to me what is remarkable is that I got to stay in this house. I got to sleep in a odd size feather bed with my sister in a room that my great grandmother had as her room. Actually it was the same bed. My cousin owns the house now. The house has been in the family since the 1820's. Its been added on to a couple times. It now has a big screened in porch and another room.
It faces the ocean, the Bay of Fundy, where the tide comes in at record speed.
At the top of the stairway is a huge old spinning wheel, a Great Wheel. When I saw it there, I stood there imagining all the hands that made yarn with that wheel. I was looking at something that those before me used to make needed items for their families.
When I was there, walking along the path to the road and across to the ocean, I felt part of a great legacy, I felt my history. Harriet died when she was 88 in 1934, 20 years before I was born. I look at her picture and imagine her feeding the chickens, lighting the kerosene lamps, milking a cow, spinning wool, making her clothes, cooking on wood, and loving her 8 children and still making room to adopt one more. I love this family history and living a part of it with our homestead lifestyle. Connections, through the generations. A good thing.

Comments

Tracey said…
I love looking at old pictures. They have so much character to me. Thank you for taking us down the 'memory lane' with you, Patty. What wonderful memories you are blessed to have. :o)
Granny said…
Patty, how neat to have that must history. I don't know a whole lot about my family's background which might be a good thing !:)

That's really great that you were able to stay in that house and that it continues to be in the family!

Judy
Finn said…
Wonderful post Patty..*VBS* You are a woman after my own heart. It's neat to stand at the place you are, in life, in history, in generations, and "see" the connection to those who went before us. The tasks that fell to their hands, their hopes and dreams and hardships. When I thinking about it, I can see back across the generations and years of strong women I descended from. What a gift we can give our daughters..*VBS*

So wonderful that you found the old project..*VBS* It's never too late you know.
Shortly after I married in 1959, my mom gifted me with a small lunch cloth she had begun to embroider back in 1935, when she was a bride. My red floss didn't match hers, but I finished it up and treasure it to this day. Your quilt will always holds both time frames of memories..neat!!! Hugs, Finn

Popular Posts