A Worn Out Luna Moth




On our back porch just a few moments ago, there sat a very worn out Luna moth, wings showing ware and it was growing too cold for this beautiful moth to get very far. I carefully moved it into the sun and finally onto a branch of the Italian pine tree, hoping it might rest safely in the late afternoon sun and be able to continue on its journey tomorrow.
What a beautiful creature and I feel so blessed to have seen it and been able to snap some photos of it.
I can only remember seeing a Luna Moth one other time in my life.

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
I have never seen one in real life.

There is a great french film with subtitles called "the butterflies" about a little girl and an old man who go out in search of the lunar moth together. Very heartwarming story from Netflix
Marcie said…
Patty, The Luna Moth is so beautiful and delicate. I have seen one only once, when visiting relatives in Tennessee. I don't believe we have them this far north. I'm so glad you gave it a little TLC and took these photos to share with your readers!
How beautiful. I've never seen one, but whenever I see a picture like yours I remember the book A Girl of the Limberlost (Gene Stratton-Porter)in which Elnora collected moths to pay for her education and one character goes to a dance in a dress she made to imitate the lines and colors of this moth.

Popular Posts