A Morning Ramble




The air is soft and warm, just a light sweatshirt is the only jacket I needed this morning as I went about my chores. Chores take longer to do now that I am milking the goats and feeding a kid. I don't mind a bit, gives me longer to be breathing in the wonderful spring like air and gaze at the beauty of the coming season breaking forth after months of winter sleep.
I get time to think, prayerfully contemplate life while I lean into the warm goats side as I milk, and at that same moment breathe in the sweet smell of fresh milk as it fills the pail, it never fails to remind me of going to Kimball farms as a child and loving the smell of fresh milk and cream that would turn into wonderful ice cream.
The plum tree exploded with blossoms yesterday in the warmth of the day. So profoundly beautiful, close and from afar. The garden growing so fast it seems a bit like time lapse photography when you look at it. After the animal chores were done I opened the yet to be attached garden gate, its sort of just leaning up against the posts. Its on the "to do" list and it may stay that way for the whole season, it has been that way since fall. Low priority sort of thing, since it does do its job in the present state of leaning only. I find Asparagus ready to eat and so I eat it for part of my breakfast. Munching the tender green stalks, as I pick carrots. At times tugging hard to get the big fat carrots out of the ground, they stubbornly hang on to the soil. I win the battle.
Harry sits on the other side of the garden fence, watching me. He wants to play.
It all seems so simple, this morning of mine. Living exactly in the moment I am in. I am not worried about the economy or the state of the world. I am just picking carrots in my garden and thanking God for His love and His gift to us of so much beauty in His Creation. We have no bills to worry about, we have lived simply for years and years. We planned this, it was not luck or any random thing. We planned to live in a old house, with a place to garden and have animals so that we could live life without needing much money. We opted for not buying into the mindset of having to live high on the hog, having things just to impress others, or to make us feel that our value lie in what we owned or could buy or what fancy store we could shop at. We didn't eat out or buy ready made meals. I thought that was lazy to be honest and we sure didn't want to spend money on eating out when it might take from someone having new shoes or dental work done.
So today, I can sit down to breakfast after chores are done and have peace of mind. Drink a cold glass of goats milk, and watch the birds fly past the window. I can sit and think of all the love in my life...daughters that are nothing but joy to us, grand-blessings that are just that GRAND BLESSINGS ! A son that is a hard worker. A husband that is nothing but kindness and honorable. So wise and loving. Our children are so blessed to have him to go to for council. He is a godly man, without a drop of hypocrisy. His tenderness and strength a perfect blending. Never in our married life has that man said one unkind word to me. Not one.
I am blessed. Life is good !

1 Thessalonians 5: 16 Be joyful always; 17 pray continually;

Comments

Lisa said…
Did you buy the milk bottle shown in the photo? Do you use that kind for your goat milk or something else? Also, why are you bottle feeding just one kid and not all three? I'm preparing for baby goats next month so I'm pondering lots of things :) Lisa in NM
Iowa Gal said…
I just love Harry. He seems to be a natural at posing for pictures. I bet he is a lot of company when Emery is at work. Don't you have two sons? You mentioned only one or am I thinking about someone else. Have a good day!!!!!!!...........JAN
Stacy said…
you ARE so very blessed. i just loved everything you had to say today. thank you
Patty said…
Hi Lisa, we bought cows milk from Promise Land dairy in those bottles. They even have screw on lids and since they are glass we love them for our goats milk.
One doe would not feed her kid so we took over but also we wanted at least one kid to be bottle fed so it would bond to humans and make for a super friendly goat. We have always bottle fed all our kids, but this year I am a bit lazy and let the other doe feed her kids.
Patty said…
Hi Jan, we adopted our two sons, but one did not like our life style and our rules so as soon as he was old enough he went back to his bio parents. He does not consider us his parents. Lots of abuse before he came to us and it did serious damage to him that he just wasn't able to get over. He was extremly violent with us.
Tatersmama said…
I just love coming here and imagining myself living a different life. A simpler life.

I always feel so inspired and peaceful after reading your posts, so I just wanted to say thank you for sharing with all of us.
Patty said…
Thank you tatersmama !

Popular Posts