Our Budget

Each week I get several emails asking about our budget and what sort of meals I cook etc.
The rules sure changed once all the children left the nest, meals for one, are less fussy and we eat leftovers several times in a row because I have no concept of cooking for two people and neither of us think a thing about eating leftovers. We have this little personal joke when we hear about folks not eating leftovers, we wonder if they would eat cake left over from their birthday the day before, or ice cream that has been opened. If you can eat cake and ice cream as left overs, you probably could eat any leftover. Not eating leftovers seems to me to be just a spoiled mindset. Food is food, unless of course its gone bad. Half the world would love to have something left over from a previous meal.
Anyway, here is the rundown on our monthly budget:
no rent or mortgage payment
no car payment
heat $200 for the year
gas, (stove hot water heater) $35
gas for the two cars $100 month
cable TV $ 55
cell phone, Internet and land line $120
taxes $110
water bill which includes trash pickup $90 (water is expensive here)
food $ 500 month
electric $45 a month in winter in summer $200 a month
insurance for cars $50 a month
entertainment $100 a month which includes any eating out, books, music and our car rides in the country.
clothing $20 a month (Goodwill)
so in summer you are looking at a budget of about $1,245.00 a month.
I get a $20 a week allowence, I have no problem with getting an allowence, works for me.

The animals pay for themselves.

We have maintained the same food budget for years, actually when all the children were home we spent about $400 a month. We splurge a bit now, buying more organics etc.
We don't live this way because we have to, we do it because we feel its right for us to not waste money on expensive living when there are those around us in need.
I did a twice a month cooking day when the children were home. Lots of casseroles and next to no meat. We eat less than 5 lbs of beef in a years time, no pork or shell fish and even chicken is purchased on sale and not eaten often. When I am in the store I check the dates and come back the day before they are to be pulled, and its always on sale, half price. I stock up. Freeze it and count myself blessed. I go early in the morning to the store, around 8:30 if I can so that way I can find the mark downs easily. I use my food dehydrator for fruits or freeze them.
It works for us and my girls are both frugal homemakers. Shopping and eating the way we do. Income is not the motivator. Steven and his wife are not into the same kind of living. They like to live high on the hog. Big house, fancy car, shop at gourmet food stores, name brand clothing for Steven, and restaurants where one visit can add up to my weeks food budget. So not everyone is into simplicity : )

Comments

Sunny said…
Oh my! I never heard of such a thing as not eating up the leftovers. Some things actually taste better heated up twice.
Renee said…
Just stopping by to say Hello.

No left overs? Can't imagine it! I agree with Sunny, some things taste better the second or third day later. Have a blessed week.
Meredith said…
Those meat markdowns save my food budget. Some people are scared to buy them, but as long as I can cook or freeze immediately, I'm grateful to have them.
I always cook for too many! I always cooked for five, and now it's mostly just me! I think it's great to cook too much and either eat it right away as leftovers or freeze it so I don't have to always cook from scratch, but am eating my own homemade convenience meals........It also saves on having to use the stove/oven so often when you cook a larger amount for the same energy use.
Williams Arena said…
I never have leftovers. I have 3 boys (2 are teenagers) and they eat ALL THE TIME!

My dad just blessed us with a beef he raised on his farm. No antibiotics and grass feed. He just asked that we pay the processing fee that I split with my brother and sister. For $80 I have a freezer full of beef. It will last us a year.

I'd love for you to share some of your OAMC recipes. I'm always on the lookout for more recipes.
Janette said…
Your taxes are SO LOW! That is the down side of Kansas- high taxes for rural areas.
I asked my husband if he misses going out to dinner. Nope. He enjoys the food that we prepare far more than sitting in a room with strangers....

Popular Posts