I Wish....



This morning I woke wishing it was fall time already. Yes, I know that I had that post not long ago about rushing the seasons, but here I am eating my own words. I am weary of summer heat, weary of having the house shut up tight, wearing of thinking of quick suppers that don't heat up the kitchen. Weary of sweating while doing chores and then on there is the longing for...sweaters, wool socks pulled up to the knee under heavy flannel skirts. For cozy fires in the stove each morning with the kettle on top singing away. For the smell of clean crisp air, dancing with leaves. For the colors that decorate my living room, so bright and bold, yet soothing.
For tucked away crafts, too hot to work on in summer, that once again make an appearance in the cool afternoons. For the excitement of the first cold morning when the floor shocks you for the chillness of if and the rush it creates in getting the fire going. For thoughts of wool hats and new socks to be knit, not just for pleasure, but for warmth and comfort. For new apples, crisp and juicy. For the color of pumpkins and the taste too, of pumpkin pie. I am anxious for the kind of day that begs you to stay outside....just a little bit longer. To watch birds fly over in migration and to see critters getting thick coats. Oh yes, I wish it were autumn already !
pictures from Homestead Heritage Craft Fair the weekend of Thanksgiving

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
Well, you are entitled to a little wishful thinking. You DO get more than your fair share of summer heat!
Marci said…
Those were some good pictures. I too look forward to autumn, although I face an empty next then too. So, I am content (this year) to wait on it to come.
Patty said…
Marci, as difficult as it is to see our nest empty, there is a quiet hidden beauty of seeing our work as parents unfold as our children set up their own home and begin to fill their own nest. The joy is profound and very filling. We see all our hard work come to fruition. And then grandbabies fill us in such an amazing way. Our nest is not empty for long !

Popular Posts