Afternoon Thoughts


The floors have been washed and waxed, the laundry washed, hung up, dried and folded. There are tidy piles lined up on the back of the sofa, waiting to be put away. I am in amazement at the amount of clothing we have. At times I miss having less, miss the simplicity of a lean closet and owning what we need and nothing more. I wonder if I could surrender the excess ? Asking myself, why do I feel the need to own so much ? To be honest, I am not sure. I delight myself at times with a hidden smugness that I am not materialistic. And compared to lots of folks I am not, but there is some level of materialism in me. That it is less than some, doesn't negate that it exists on some level in some application within my heart.

Just my thoughts, this afternoon, looking at myself.... seeking to be less interested in the things that just simply don't matter in the end.

I am feeling blessed today, our son has offered to help his sister with some medical bills...isn't that a wonderful thing ~


Comments

A. said…
It is wonderful when family pulls together. I have an only child, not by our choice. We are an incredibly blessed little family, though. I do wonder how it will be when he is older without those siblings for companionship and support.

I love to see a very close family. You are so blessed.

My theory on the clothes..if you had less, you'd have to wash more often. You would lose precious time spent with loved ones or tending your little homestead. Just a thought. ;)
Patty said…
Hi A,
When our children were young, we all had very little clothing, by choice and it was so much easier.
Carrie J said…
I have noticed that since I have been buying second hand that I tend to buy more. Price I suppose. I have also made a decision that I will not buy anything unless I really, REALLY need it or I absolutely love it. The hope is that I will be satisfied and not feel the need to buy more.
I wanted to ask you if you know of a natural treatment for Powdery Mildew. It has attacked my squash.
I am going to plant a second crop but I'm afraid it will still be around and get on it too.
Patty said…
This is a recipe I got from a master gardener in our area.

Fungicide Spray Treats Powdery Mildew & other fungus

One gallon water
Three tablespoons baking soda
One teaspoon dishwashing liquid
One tablespoon bleach ( Warning - NO more than this amount )
Mix all ingredients in sprayer and spray all areas on the plant that look affected. It's best to remove all leaves and other parts of the plant that are the worst affected. Apply sparingly to unaffected areas, and keep in mind that too much bleach can harm the plant. Try to avoid getting it on healthy leaves.

I personally have left out the bleach and/or cut the amount in half and had fine results.
nancyr said…
It is wonderful that Steven is a generous man. My daughter paid my son's hospital bill, when he had no insurance, and it was appreciated so much. Friends come and go, but family is forever.
Carrie J said…
Thanks Patty. I will try that.

Popular Posts