Embracing The Simple Life


The dictionary defines the word embrace as ....
The act of clasping another person in the arms (as in greeting or affection)

Include in scope; include as part of something broader; have as one's sphere or territory; "This group encompasses a wide range of people from ...

Squeeze (someone) tightly in your arms, usually with fondness; "Hug me, please"; "They embraced"; "He hugged her close to him"

The state of taking in or encircling; "an island in the embrace of the sea"

Espouse: take up the cause, ideology, practice, method, of someone and use it as one's own; "She embraced Catholicism"; "They adopted the Jewish faith"

A close affectionate and protective acceptance; "his willing embrace of new ideas"; "in the bosom of the family"

In reading these definitions, each one has an aspect of how I feel towards the simple life we have chosen for ourselves.
As I was doing chores this morning, I leaned on the green gate that separates the pasture from the milking barn and thought that if someone were to snap a picture of me at that very moment they would have captured the essence of who I am. Hair pulled back, apron covering a denim jumper, healthy shoes on my feet and all that I felt in that single moment leaning on the fence, looking at the land, my eyes filled with something deep, an embracing of this simple way of living, holding on to it with my eyes and heart, filled with an almost undefinable feeling of contentment, peace, gratitude, love, appreciation and feeling of being totally fulfilled. If those feelings showed on my face the way they seemed to, then a picture would have captured me, fully, as my life is at this time. Looking forward, feeling content, feeling full of wonder and awe at how good life is, feeling a bit of what I think true worship is for God. This simple life feels like a Holy Experience. The easy flow of each day, the moments of joy as the children call, bonds so full of love, the good smells coming from the kitchen each day, the colors that surround me, the golden glow of the lamplight at night, the silent moments, the music and singing moments, the scent of homemade soap on my face each morning and night. The way the golden crusted bread looks as it cools on the counter top. Little things, that seem to add up to a sum that is easy to embrace.


Comments

Christine said…
That bread looks heavenly!! It make my mouth water just looking at it! I'm sure it has nothing to do with the fact that I'm going wheat free!! :-)

Any chance I can get the recipe for when I can start eating wheat again?
Patty, Your post was beautiful to us simple living folk. We love our simple life on homestead, even though it's just getting started. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Peace, Kris
Cat said…
Is it butter making your bread tops look so beautiful?

Enjoyed your post on simple living, as always!
Unknown said…
Thank you so much for this beautiful post! I'm going to try that bread for sure!

Have a blessed day!
Brandi
Anonymous said…
What a thought-provoking post. Your comment about "if someone took a picture," makes me think about living deliberately, so that anyone meeting me could always be meeting the real me. Very inspiring!

Popular Posts