The Subject of Anger

This is something I wrote on my other blog, Daily Wanderer, on Monday, October 02, 2006.
That blog is now a private blog but I did want to share this post today.
So many angry people, filled with an anger that covers hurt. Anger tries to block any vulnerability we may feel, but it doesn't really work for us. It disturbs our sleep. It ruins relationships. It creates walls within families and tears away at what could be a beautiful picture of life. Anger is fear.

The Subject of Anger...
It seems I often write about anger. Maybe because my husband came from a family where anger ruled the home, and the fallout is felt to this day in his extended family. Our sons, taken from their bio parents home, (my husbands brother) where young lives were harmed from abuse filled with rage.
I see young mothers and fathers angry at their world, then take it out on their small children. So angry that they hurt the children, creating yet another generation filled with anger in their hearts for being so wounded emotionally by someone elses anger. A terrible cycle, that takes such love to break, such dedication to stop.
Today, and everyday really, we see the news filled with stories of violence due to anger and rage. For me, its extremely difficult to see into this world. I grew up in a loving, compassionate family. We had our disagreements, but never in my life did I witness anger or rage.
I married a peaceful man, who seeks peace above all else. My daughters are peaceful beings.
The Dalai Lama writes in his book, The Joy of Living and Dying in Peace...."No other negative deed compares with anger as an obstacle and hindrance to cultivate the spiritual path." We see the evidence of this over and over. In small matters as well as large ones. Anger over a red light, anger over a long line in the store, anger over a waitresses mistake. What for ? What purpose ? Is not patience the higher road to take ? The more pleasant outcome ? Anger transforms us into something that at any other time, we would not even imagine. Even our face takes on an expression that is ugly when we are anger filled. It is time to practice patience.

The picture was taken by my daughter Melissa of Emerald Lake VT

Comments

Dana and Daisy said…
thank you for posting that Patty.
Mimi said…
I am afraid that anger rules too many homes today...
thanks for bringing this problem to the attention of many...

Popular Posts