All About Books - - A meme

My long time friend Rondi over at May's Day had a great meme called All About Books. I loved it. Shared it with Melissa and she did it too. Have a go of it if you are a reader.
Here is mine..
Do you remember how you developed a love of reading?
Sure do, my grandmother, mother and father always had a book in hand. My grandmother had a profound love of books, the kind that made me feel like reading was better than candy !
We also knew a used book seller by the name of Mr Murphy, whose shop we stopped by often and he would sell 1st editions to me for next to nothing, because he wanted to foster a love of books. I remember getting. If I had 25 cents, thats what the book would cost. I had all of Alcotts books in first editions by the time I was 12 for probably a cost of $5
What are some books you loved as a child?
I loved historical novels and old books. Alcott was a favorite and Nathaniel Hawthorne. Longfellow's poems....not your normal reading for a 10 year old perhaps. Loved science books too. Loved good Art books too. Andrew Wyeth was an inspiration to me.
What is your favorite genre?
Non-fiction and poetry, and always reading some kind of natural health book, after all its my field of study.
Do you have a favorite novel?
Leaf in The Storm by Lin Yutang
Where do you usually read?
Curled up on the sofa and yes, in the bathroom. For years it was the only solitary quiet place when the children were small. Got in the habit.
When do you usually read?
Any chance I get, afternoons are my favorite time.
Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
Oh yes, I might be reading a science type book, and a book on Philosophy and then maybe some sort of spiritual book.
Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
Maybe a bit differently...maybe note paper, highlighter in hand or a pencil so I can write notes in the margins
Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
Buy them. I love books and want to KEEP them !
Do you keep most of the books you buy?
I have trouble letting go of books that I enjoy, but if a book was just a "so so" type of read I probably will let it go....book shelves are pretty full.
If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?
Oh my, lets see, the list will be long....We read Robert Frosts, Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening so many times we had to purchase a second copy. Both the girls could recite lots of poems by age 3. They loved Little House on the Prairie Books until our life began to resemble that kind of life, then the books were not so interesting. Melissa used to read to Melanie at night when they shared a room. They adored a series of books called, "The Lost Children of Tarshish" by Ehud Tokatly, Shumeul & Judy Klitsner. They are about Israeli children that end up on a tiny island after their ship sinks, they call the island Tarshish. They observe all the Jewish holidays and create their own mini Torah Community. I have to say I was always anxious for the next book too. We read nature books, history books and so much more. I just wanted my children to LOVE reading.
What are you reading now?
I am reading Ekhart Tolle's "A New Earth" for the second time and also reading "Heaven on Earth" by Rabbi Faitel Levin
Do you keep a To Be Read list?
No, I just am always on the lookout for a new book that makes you think.
What’s next?
Maybe read Bernrd Heinrich's "The Trees in My Forest"
What books would you like to reread?
I have seasonal re-reads, mostly novels though. Fall time, early winter ... "The Long Winter" by Wilder. Summer I re-read "Sailing Alone around the World" by Joshua Slocum. In Spring I love to read, "We Took to the Woods" by Louise Dickinson Rich. I am always re-reading books by the Dalai Lama. You almost have to in order to digest them. I re-read "The Secret" constantly for inspiration.
Who are your favorite authors?
Long list here....
Lin Yutang
Dalai Lama
Jon Kabat Zinn
Hawthorne
Wilder
Alcott
Jesus
Buckminster Fuller (kinda crazy, but I like outside the box thinking)
William F Buckley ( you often need a dictionary handy)
Bernrd Heinrich
Menachem Mendel Schneerson (The Rebbe)
Rabbi Manis Friedman
Longfellow
Thoreau
Emerson
Tolstoy
Gibran

better stop right here, its a long list already... a final note, I HATE romance novels of any kind.
Now here is Melissa's Meme Answers
Do you remember how you developed a love of reading?
Both of my parents enjoy books and read to me frequently as a child and encouraged me to read and kept me with an endless supply of books.
What are some books you loved as a child?
Anything to do with Sweden or horses. I especially enjoyed the Saddle Club series.
What is your favorite genre?
I love Russian literature
Do you have a favorite novel?
Ada by Vladimir Nabokov holds a special place in my heart.
Where do you usually read?
Curled up in my rocking chair
When do you usually read?
I'm assuming we are talking about reading for pleasure, in which case I usually read on the weekends.
Do you usually have more than one book you are reading at a time?
No, I am the type of person who enjoys finishing something before moving on to the next project. Do you read nonfiction in a different way or place than you read fiction?
Not at all, I read nursing textbooks the exact same way that I read ChickLit
Do you buy most of the books you read, or borrow them, or check them out of the library?
I check most books out from the library. I enjoy the feel and smell of old books and find the notes people pencil in the margins interesting.
Do you keep most of the books you buy?
Yes
If you have children, what are some of the favorite books you have shared with them?
I will share books by Jan Brett, because the illustrations are amazing.
What are you reading now?
The Essentials of Pathophysiology
Do you keep a To Be Read list?
No, but I usually have something in mind that I want to read in the future
What’s next?
Invitation to a Beheading by Nabokov
What books would you like to reread?
I would like to reread Atlas Shurgged by Ayn Rand and On Democracy by Robert Dahl, my favorite book from college
Who are your favorite authors?
Nabokov, Faulkner, Joyce

Comments

Victoria (Vii) said…
Lots of new authors to check out, thanks!
R. Aastrup said…
That was fun! I enjoyed both your lists. The hardest thing for me, too, was narrowing down favorites...authors, books, genres... there is just too much good stuff out there!

Reading certainly enriches your life, doesn't it?

Popular Posts