Walking

This morning I got an email from "French Women Don't Get Fat". It was really interesting. All about walking.
Americans don't walk places. We might walk for health reasons but hardly any of us walk to the store, walk to a friends house a mile away, walk to church, walk to the museum and certainly not walk from market to market picking out our food for the days meal.
I see people walking along the road, tennis shoes on, arms swinging, IPods plugged into their ears, serious and intent on burning up those calories. But honestly that's not much fun. Its work, its like going to the gym. Its sweaty in summer, cold in winter and only the very brave head out in rain. Our babies strollers are made so they collapse into small things able to be stored in the back of our vehicles since we just use them to cart the baby from the car to the mall and then back again to the car. We have forgotten the joy, the benefits of walking with pleasure to accomplish things such as marketing. Part of this comes from our rushed lives. Walking takes time. I can head off to the post office, city hall to pay the water bill, and the bank in the car and be home in 15 minutes. Walking on the other hand would take me an hour or so. I would stop to talk to people I know, I might stop to watch a crow hop across the road and I may just be inclined to stop at the local cafe and have a coffee. No drive thru there so I don't stop when in the car.
My mothers generation walked more. In the Boston area I knew many of my mothers friends that never even had a drivers license. There were corner stores. Small markets, hair salons, barbers, drug stores, dry cleaners all within a short distance of just about every home. I walked to the corner store as a child often, maybe even daily. Ladies would dress their babies pretty and parade them down the road in big buggies, people would stop and talk and comment on the baby. We have lost that and we have gotten FAT. Other countries haven't taken to driving the car for every little trip. They still walk and they are thinner than we are.
It said in the email this morning that the average person in Switzerland consumes 20 lbs of chocolate a year, but they are not all fat. They walk.
Consider walking some place to do something. Consider saving some money at the gas station by dressing up a bit, going for a walk to the store or some other place. The benefits are profound, both physically and mentally.

Emery on the way to one of our favorite cafe's



Comments

Gullebarn said…
This is absolutely true. I have a Scandinavian themed gift store that is in our downtown area. We get some Norwegian students that come in all the time to buy goodies from home. They always comment on how American's don't walk anywhere. They also comment on how nobody likes to eat outside.
Sunny said…
I SO hear you. One thing I like about Korea is that you don't NEED a car. You can walk to the bus or train. My complaint with the good old USA is that most cities don't have decent public transportation and are not even set up to be safe to walk or take a bike. My neighborhood, for example, is a GREAT place for walking-if you like going round and round the circle-but you can't get OUT of it safely unless in a car. Mr. Sunny offered to get me a bike. I declined, because, bike to WHERE! I have looked on line but so far have failed to find a good old walkable American town.
Anonymous said…
We just moved to Baltimore from Chicago, and one of the things I *love* about living in the historic district (Mount Vernon) in our new town is that we have been walking to everything! The grocery store, farmer's market, post office, wonderful restaurants, museums, coffeehouses, even to work. It's like a little town in a big city! I've lost a lot of weight because we're walking everywhere - and it's hilly here!
R. Aastrup said…
True enough. When I was in France 3 summers ago, I walked everywhere for 10 days. And I got to every single place I wanted to go. It was great! But then...I wasn't working 10-12 hour days either.......
Michele said…
Suburbia is, sadly, just not set up for walking and it's a real shame. I read about other countries, or even other US cities that are set up better for it and I am green with envy. I'd love to be able to walk to my local markets daily ala the French. Maybe someday?

Popular Posts