Mei-Ling and Mimi Have An Adventure

Melanie is sleeping . You can hear the relief of having her baby home, in the very steady breath of a sound sleep. Food is in the oven, baking for supper time. Soon Emery and Casi will come through the front door, sunlight to their backs. Both will be hungry. Casi with that hunger all young men seem to have and Emery hungry from work and knowing that the smell of pumpkin bread will greet him.
Things are under control for now. Baby fed and diapered. Clean diapers flapping in the wind on the line. A bit of time to spare. The warm late afternoon sun beckoning me. I want to give this pram a true and honest test.
Mei-Ling seems willing so out the door we head. I am no less than shocked at the reactions we get. There are women who walk to the store with babies in strollers in our area. The utilitarian type buggies. The ones that go from stroller to car seat etc. They hardly turn a head. But this bright red pram, carry cot variety that brings back to mind days of yore when women walked babies for the sheer pleasure of the stroll.
A neighbor was mowing and stopped, she smiled this knowing, long forgotten feeling of, "oh yes, I remember walking my babies decades ago". She waved, a bit of that "where did the years go" look in her eyes. Two young men in a very fancy pick up truck, stopped way before the intersection I needed to cross, waving to tell me to cross. I had the feeling they wanted to jump out and halt any traffic that might approach. I smiled back to them that grandmotherly look. Ahh, I have that look now. It fits well too, like wonderfully comfortable shoes that you care more about how they feel than their looks. My hair piled up on my head, long skirt, sneakers and it was o.k. to look so old fashioned granny type.
Ladies drove past us, smiling.... I got the feeling they wished they had the time for such an outing, such an adventure with a tiny loved one. The reactions to this walk was astonishing.
I also got to hear and see the birds, see the flowers in well tended yards, trees all leaved out, the clouds floating by and breath deeply the fresh air.
Mei-Ling slept soundly, if she was an old man she would have been snoring loudly her sleep was so deep. This pram, has a good ride. The gravel road was smooth sailing for this tiny girl in the red pram.
I got my exercise, and dug my toes deeper into this wonderful new phase of life. It feels good to love a new generation. This walking a baby in a pretty pram is just one of life's better experiences. I feel so completely blessed.
Mei-Ling sleeps still, Bach playing to her on the stereo. Her ears hearing beauty.

Comments

Unknown said…
I absolutely LOVE going for walks with my kids. I loved it when they were small like Mei Ling, but now that the older one can ask "whats that sound" and say "look at that tree," its so fun. Im glad that youre instilling this joy in her.
nancyr said…
As you describe your walk, I could "visualize" your adventure. You are a great "story teller".
Grancy
Lori4squaremom said…
Oh Patty, I just LOVED reading about Mei Ling's first stroll....what a blessing she has in you!

Blessings,
In Him,
Lori4squaremom
http://lori.scottdomain.com
Jennifer said…
I stumbled upon your blog quite randomly, but your writing captivated me and I had to stay. I'm a young reader, only 24, but I truly enjoy the stories you share with "us" on the internet. I would like to say thank you, every new post brings happiness into my day and I am overjoyed at your new pleasure of being a grandmother :-)

--Jenny
Patty said…
Hi Jessie, I love that age too, when they start to ask questions and you can teach them so many wonderful things.
Patty said…
Thanks Jenny,
Hope you visit my blog often. You are the same age as my youngest daughter ! Great age to be, I remember it well : ) Albeit, it was a long time ago for me. But it was full of adventure
Marci said…
Oh Pat.... What a joy you are experiencing!!!! Enjoy that baby twice as much... one time for me!!!

Popular Posts