Blue Skies







The wind cleared away all the smoke from the many fires that broke out in our part of Texas yesterday. Much of yesterday our sky had a strange sort of sepia tint to it, reminding us all of the heartbreak that many were going through as fire riped through areas, fueled by low humidity and extremely high winds.
The air is cooler today, but the wind still blowing. As I dressed this morning I so wanted to just step back in time for a day of simple rhythms, much like the sound of my footsteps, the clanging of the milk pail as I walk to the milk house, and then the steady sound of the milk hitting the milk pail. Just life sounds. No car, no phone and even no music.
When I dressed this morning I thought about my long dress and how I fixed my hair twisted along the sides in the front, pulled up in a tiny tiny bun in the back. I reminded myself this morning to NOT cut my hair again when the mood strikes, I honestly like my hair long, and so doesn't Emery. He loves to brush it in the evening just before bedtime and it is so soothing to me, relaxes me so I sleep like a baby. Gray hair taking over the brown...I always wanted white hair like my aunt and it looks like I may have my wish at some point not too far down the road.
I have no desire to try and fool people into thinking I am younger, I am not ashamed of my age or afraid of it. I don't worship youth. I do like to maintain good health just so I can enjoy to the fullest right where I am now and be strong for the work ahead of me in life, but I like where I am in life.
When people suggest that maybe I should dye my hair to cover the gray I smile to myself thinking, "and hide this crown of glory ?" No way, I have earned it all. Proverbs 16:31 Gray hair is a crown of splendor; it is attained by a righteous life. Not wanting to cover that up !
I think we get off track sometimes in life, missing the moment, missing the joy of right now. Fear of so many things driving us to places we don't even want to go, but instead get pushed along by popular thought.
wouldn't mind if I could slow things down a bit though. Time seems to be passing so quickly.
Harry the ever faithful guardian
Tiny kittens under the milking stand
Baby goats with horn buds way too big
my tulips by the bridge
my apron blowing in the breeze

Comments

... Paige said…
great post and you ended it in a poem.
Dana and Daisy said…
boy your baby goats are growing! I hope you enjoy the easter weekend Patty and have lots of easter egg hunts with those grandbabies!

Love, Dana
Aunt Jenny said…
I love this post! I plan to keep my hair long too..I am 50 now and all my friends have cut their long hair off long ago and spend their time (and money) going to salons keeping their hair styled, cut and colored. I don't plan to follow suit. I was blessed with very dark hair and not alot of grays so far..but I will keep every one I get. Like you, I feel like I earned them.
Have a wonderful, blessed, simple Easter with your family.
Janette said…
My hair is short and colored the color of my youth. When I leave teaching full time I will let it grow long and gray (as it is under color right now).I am looking forward to that day- as is my husband.
Something I really look forward to letting go of.
i will probably have a backpack ion my back as well. I am looking forward to 15 months from now.
jackie said…
Happy Easter Patty !
Cathy said…
As always--a beautiful post! Wishing you & yours a beautiful Easter.
Hi - great comments on the gray hair front. I decided years ago, when it started coming in gray, it was here to stay - I will not color it. I tend to wear my hair long, so I can get it up and off my neck during the hot summers. BUT I have cut off 10+ inches to donate to Locks of Love 4 times now. I only wish I would have started sooner. Even with more gray coming in they will still take it and sell it to raise money to keep their organization going. I am in the process of growing it out again (takes about 1 1/2 years to get it long enough to cut again). I do miss it when it is cut, but I know it is going to help someone else. Have fun with you hair, no matter what length color, style or shape. Emily

Popular Posts