Think on These Things...

I love the verse in the Bible that says, "Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." Philippians 4:8
It's good to concentrate on the good things around us, to dwell on good thoughts, to be known for being positive, look on the bright side of things and have many many things that we like. (not speaking of material things here as you may have guessed).
I have occasion to be thinking of buying someone a birthday gift and to be honest its a chore, not because of any reason other than they are always saying, " I can't stand that..." Even this persons husband is always telling us what she "can't stand."
I have in my head a HUGE list of things I have heard them say, I can't stand this or that" and they include people in this list, sad to say. I know many many things this person doesn't like. But honestly, I know almost nothing she does like. That's not part of her conversation. She tends to be rather quiet except about the many things and people she "can't stand".
I know lots of things she doesn't like to do but very little about anything she does like to do. It's sad.
My girls and I were talking about this and we all agreed we know maybe three things about each of us that we don't like. I don't like Lima beans and peas, its a texture thing for me. Melanie doesn't like onions and oatmeal. Melissa doesn't like coconut and nuts. But we honestly couldn't say we "can't stand them". Emery doesn't like hominy, not the grits, hominy and turnip greens. But again there was nothing we knew that he could not stand ! And for all of us, it seemed a bit over kill to say there were people we "can't stand". People we don't like, maybe a few each.
When it comes down to it, it's all a matter of tolerance and a bit of forbearance, both words that seem to have been shoved under the carpet these days. Unused and standing for a rather old fashioned concept of being nice. We all have things that we dislike, like foods or something, but should there really be things we cannot stand ? Maybe sin, but never the sinner and in hating the sin we have to be very careful that we are not looking at the person and attaching our dislike for them and saying its their sin we hate, you can make your dislike for a person pretty carefully disguised by saying its really the sin you hate.
So now, back to my dilemma of trying to find a gift for the person with so many "can't stands" in life. Its a tough one. I am not a big fan of giving money or gift cards. I don't mind getting them but personally, I just would rather think of a gift to give a person. I have a bit of time to figure this out, but what this post is about right now is to show that being a person with all kinds of dislikes and "can't stands" makes you seem more than a bit negative and intolerant.
I love the verse in Psalm 199:165 and say it over and over when I am feeling a bit ticked off about something....."Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them." Wow, nothing shall offend them ! What a testimony for having a heart right. If nothing offends because we have a right understanding of Gods way, then phrases like " I can't stand" this or that has no place in the heart.

I'll keep working on a gift idea...

a lovely red rose from my garden

Comments

nancyr said…
How about a book about the "power of positive thinking"? Just kidding, but there are lots of books that might make her think more positively.
I know lots of people think they are trite, but I always like the "Chicken Soup for the Soul" books, and especially the cookbook.
ann said…
What a beautiful post Patty. Thank you for always giving me something to think about.
Mimi said…
Patty,
you made me think about my attitude... I try not to say I don't like something...
but I'm sure that I give that impression sometimes... I guess I need to say I like everything
(especially if I want to get a present! ha ha)
Marianna said…
Thank you for giving me something to think about and pay attention to in myself. I probably that "I can't stand such and such" far more than I should.
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I think you are talking about one of my family member. lol No, seriously I loved the post. Made me rethink alot of things. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura
Gullebarn said…
How about a gift of your notecards? Or one of you prints blown up to 8X10 and framed? The gifts I have gotten and loved the most are handmade by true artisans. And I try and give gifts of my talents to people who will appreciate them as much as I can: a beaded necklace, a portrait of a favorite pet, etc.
Joy McD said…
This is a great post, Patty. I've commented about it on my blog this morning :)

Love,

Joy
Anonymous said…
Thanks for reminding me of the Philippians scripture - things have been rather difficult lately and I had forgotten to think on good things. Your rose is beautiful!
Shan said…
Dearest Patty,

I am brand new to your delightful blog. I found you through "Like Merchant Ships". I began reading at the beginning, clear back to 2005. I have a question for you - what kind of oil do you burn in your lamps? I have a couple of kerosene lamps here in my cozy Victorian cottage, but when I use them I seem to be bothered by the "kerosene" smell. I buy "lamp oil" at our local hardware store. Please advise. In the meantime, I will be enjoying "catching up" by reading all of your posts. It will take me awhile as I am a busy wife and mother, but I know that I have met a truly kindred spirit.

Please e-mail me at princod@gmail.com with any adivse on the lamp oil.

Yours in spirit,
Shan
Dannielle said…
That Phillipians verse is one of my favorites. It really simplifies and prioritizes life, doesn't it?

Popular Posts