Smocking and Smiles










Grammie has been fun playing with the sweetest baby doll. I get to dress her up, cuddle her, cover her with butterfly kisses and just simply watch her.
When I was a child I played dolls with all the seriousness of a devoted mother. My dolls were "real" to me and I loved them dearly, actually I have all my dolls still to this day. Then at the not so tender age of 14, in shame I quit playing dolls. I never played with Barbie dolls, just baby dolls. My cousin and I used to walk to each others house with our baby doll things in paper bags so no one would know we still played dolls at age 13.
From dolls I went to babysitting, from babysitting I got married and we had our first baby 18 months after we were married. Now, the joy of grand parenting has come to me. Pretty baby things for pretty babies. Little girl frills and ruffles. Today I picked up the latest issue of Sew Beautiful, and now I am dreaming of two new little ones dressed in dresses full of sweetness.
Here are some shots of Mei-Ling this weekend with Grammie dressing her up.
Some dresses I hope to make for my sweet little grand-daughters
Mei-Ling in a bubble with bunnies
In a Bishop Dress, tiny pink gingham with bunnies



Comments

Mimi said…
is that precious baby spoiled or what!
Patty said…
Mimi, she is a tad spoiled : )
Christine said…
my goodness she makes the sweetest faces! How fun it must be to play dress-up with her :) For some strange reason my boys never want to do that, hehe

Although I do have to tell a funny story about dressing up. Someone gave us some bags of left over clothes. We took what we needed but left over were a pair of little girls tap shoes that we obviously can't use. Well when Owen saw them he HAD to try them out. He didn't care that they were girls shoes or that they were very shiny with a bow. They were his size and he really NEEDED to dance in the kitchen while wearing them. It was the sweetest thing!
R. Aastrup said…
I love smocked dresses! I remember there was a time when the only store-bought clothes we owned were Polly Flinders smocked dresses for church...one a season. We'd go to the factory outlet for them. What a treat that was!
have been on vacation but was able to catch up on blogs today...wanted you to know how glad i am that you continue to get to spend so much time with your grandbabies. i also really enjoyed your postings on families and raising kids. after teaching in the school system, i too wonder how things have gotten to the state they are currently at in terms of family and parenting dynamics...really makes it more difficult from a teacher's perspective....
Patty said…
Hi Rondi,
My girls had polly flinders dresses, always matching. My mom and dad would pick them up at the outlet. I kept a few of them !
My mother used to smock our little girl dresses, wish I had one of those dresses
Patty said…
What a cute story Christine. Did you take a picture : )
Mei-Ling is such a blessing isn't she! I have one grandson who is a great joy and my younger daughter is due to give birth on September 10 and we think this will be a little girl. Please pray for all to go well with her and her family. We are praying for Mei-Ling.

Thank you for your blog which is a comfort just now when my husband is very ill.
Robin J. said…
Hi Patty,

I love smocked dresses! My friend brought one from the Philippians for Jaclyn. It was pink and hand smocked. I saved it and Juliet got to wear it. We give Juliet's clothes to the church pianist who has 5 children, the youngest two years younger than Juliet. I watched that little girl wear the dress. Now she's outgrown it. .... I wonder who is wearing it now!

Popular Posts