Show and Tell Friday


Its Friday show and Tell thanks to Kelli at http://kellishouse.blogspot.com/
I have a love of hats and gloves, not the winter variety, but the English Wedding variety. I have more than one hat box and one very stuffed glove box. My grandmother wore the most amazing hats. Full of style and pizazz. You noticed her hats. I got to play with them when they no longer "worked" for her. I wish I still had them....
Never mind wishing for those, they are gone off to wherever old hats end up, now I simply find my own hats to purchase. Some small and demure, perfect for a crowded church, where big hats often obscure the view of those behind you, and other hats are just out to make a statement and the person behind me just simply looses out on the view beyond my hat.
I watch Keeping Up Appearances rather faithfully and oh and awww at Hyacinths hats, except the one with those massive plums on it that the dog ate. I even went so far as to buy a video of the movie, Three Weddings and A Funeral, simply to see all the hats in that movie. I don't really like that movie, but I adore the hats in it.
Its a strange relationship for me, most of the time I am speaking about simple living, about living plainly, and yet here I am with this love of flashy wonderful hats and gloves. Color and style, flair and statement. Woman have the right to be multifaceted, like a fine gem, a sparkling diamond and hats seem to be one of those facets for me. Even when working in the garden, I love wide brimmed hats and darling little gloves. But I am not a big fan of dressing up, but I do on occasion, just so I can wear a hat. I never fly without wearing a hat. One time I flew to Boston from California all dolled up as they say. Red and black heels, (not too high though) black slacks, black mock turtle neck, bright red blazer and an amazing black and red hat, not too big, but full of style. I was standing in line for my boarding pass and an elderly lady walked right up to me and said, "Darling, you are a refreshing to see, woman don't dress up to travel any more and its sad." I had visions of her travelling by train in the days of black and white movies, full of class and style. I will tell you, that a woman wearing a hat, dressed up, gets all the doors opened for her.
So today for show and tell I share with you this side of me that certainly departs from the simple living homestead gal.
My favorite hat
My gardening hat
A few pair of gloves !
A couple more hats
Even my girls wore hats
Melanie has picked up my love of hats

Comments

Susan said…
Yes, we are many faceted and it's nice to see this side of you.
Susan
Iowa Gal said…
I would give anything for your lavender hat and gloves. I bought a sequined dress at good will one day and my husband asked me where are you going to wear that? We live in a village of 350. I probably won't wear it but it MAKES ME SMILE just to know it is mine and it is hanging in my closet. It doesn't take much to make me smile'
nannykim said…
The lavender hat is fantabulous. I loved what you said about many facetd women. I have been thinking for quite some time about simple living and it is a battle at times. But is is wonderful to enjoy the simple things in life. I look weird in hats although I love to look at them; my head seems too small for hats--they always sink way down!!
Lib said…
I LOVE your hats and gloves.
I live the Simple side of life too ,but I wear hats and Love them.
Thanks for sharing:o)
Blessins',
Lib
Susie said…
Great hats! I also remember my Grandma (and Mom) wearing very stylish hats..
:)
LBP said…
I love your lavendar hat and gloves! My great aunt Clara used to have a box filled with all colors of gloves. I have no idea what happened to that after she dies. Probably thrown away.

Linda
Hootin Anni said…
That top photo with the purple hat....WOW!!!
2 LMZ FARMS said…
I love wearing hats too. I do wear wide brim hats in the summer. I just wished I was confident enough to wear stylish hats like those of yours. Hope you and yours have a blessed day.
Laura
Anonymous said…
Oooh, I love love love the the lilac one - absolutely beautiful colour! And the opaque black one is gorgeous too. They are like beautiful, wearable art.
just wanted you to know what a nice thing it always is to have internet access and to catch up on your thoughts. i really enjoy your postings from this last week especially. i agree that it's nice to dress up at times and am so thankful that someone else realizes and validates that it's okay for an individual to hold a variety of different sides to oneself....may you have a most blessed weekend!
Carole Burant said…
Oh how I love your hats and gloves!! I remember my gran always wearing a hat and I also wish I still had some of them. I don't wear hats myself but I do admire those women that do, they look so elegant with them:-)
Kristy Jo said…
what a WONDERFUL collection!!!!!! how fun!
Barbara H. said…
Oh, my ... I am trying not to drool. i love hats, and these are gorgeous! Wherever do you find them? Department stores here used to carry them, but not so much any more. I've seen some gorgeous ones online but they're pretty expensive there, at least unless there are some bargains I've missed.

I love what you said about being multifaceted and what that elderly lady said to you.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts
Mimi said…
wow there are many sides to you... I would never have guessed that you liked hats (since you seem to like the simple things)
But I do love your hats.especially the lavender one..
when I was a girl we always wore hats to church... and I love them... but I never did feel like they looked as good on me as I expected them to
Unknown said…
Lovely pictures, Patty!! I love the lavender hat...so pretty!
Kelli

Popular Posts