Can't Wait to Read This Book..."The Year of Living Bibically"

Emery called a bit ago and told me about this new book soon to be on the store shelves. About a man who spent an entire year living bibically. Of course Emery wants to read the book, he likes books like that. I was on the computer so looked up the article and with an interest piqued I went to the authors web site, then to his blog, read excerpts from the book and have to admit, I cannot wait to read this book . I love the reasons for his choosing the subject and his writing seems witty and not all weighed down with his own agenda regarding religion. I think this book will be a refreshing journey into many aspects of the bible. I am hopeful it will be.
In citing his reasons for the writing this book, he says..."First, since the Bible requires me to tell the truth (Proverbs 26:28), I must confess that part of the reason is to write this book. A couple of years ago, I came out with a book about reading the Encyclopaedia Britannica, all of it, from A to Z – or more specifically, from a-ak (East Asian music) to Zywiec (a town in southern Poland known for its beer). What could I do next? The only intellectual adventure that seemed a worthy follow-up was to explore the most influential book in the world, the all-time bestseller, the Bible. Second, this project would be my visa to a spiritual world. I wouldn’t just be studying religion. I’d be living it. If I have what they call a God-shaped hole in my heart, this quest will allow me fill it. If I have a hidden mystical side, this year will bring it out of the closet. If I want to understand my forefathers, this year will let me live like they did, but with less leprosy. And third, this project would be a way to explore the huge and fascinating topic of Biblical literalism. Millions of Americans say they take the Bible literally. According to a 2005 Gallup poll, the number hovers near 33 percent. A Newsweek poll puts it at 55 percent. A literal interpretation of the Bible – both Jewish and Christian -- shapes American policies on the Middle East, homosexuality, stem cell research, education, abortion – right on down to rules about buying beer on Sunday. But my suspicion was that almost everyone’s literalism consisted of picking and choosing. People plucked out the parts that fit their agenda, whether that agenda was to the right or left. Not me. I thought, with some naiveté, I would peel away the layers of interpretation and find the true Bible underneath. I would do this by being the ultimate fundamentalist. I’d be fearless. I would do exactly what the Bible said, and in so doing, I’d discover what’s great and timeless in the Bible and what is outdated. " http://www.ajjacobs.com/books/yolb.asp?id=excerpt
Just sounds like an interesting read with room for many good discussions. You can pre-order the book on Amazon now. Its due out in October.

Comments

Mimi said…
sounds like an interesting book... has he already spent the year living Biblically and this is the outcome?
Teresa said…
Brent and I just read through most of his site together. Thanks for the link! We, too, look forward to reading this book (and Brent doesn't even LIKE to read.)
Patty said…
yes, Mimi, he has spent the year already and the book will come out next month.
Rox said…
Thanks so much for the book link. I've read the excerpt and discovered the the book isn't the normal boring book! The visuals had me laughing I am diffently going to buy the book. Thanks again
Rox said…
The book is out now for $15.00 at Amazon. I just purchased it. Here's the link to the page on Amazon. Thanks again
http://www.amazon.com/Year-Living-Biblically-Literally-Possible/dp/0743291476/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0754446-4485407?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190657087&sr=8-1
Unknown said…
If you'd like to hear A.J. Jacobs talk about his new book, "The Year of Living Biblically," check out this audio interview link.

Popular Posts