A Day Of Rest

The windows are open, soft cool air stirs the sheer curtains, sweet potatoes and garnet yams are baking in the oven. "Chants" plays softly in the background. A steaming mug of maple tea beside me. The day feels normal, not rushed, slow and steady, ordinary....how wonderful a word, ordinary ! Signs of autumn in the gray clouded sky....sweaters, wool socks, wood stove burning brightly all in the near future, blessings, small and ordinary, yes that word again.
Its a day for cinnamon and apple smells.
Now that Mei-Ling is on her way home, I can sit back and reflect a bit, instead of just living off the cuff of each moment. I don't do well being out all the time, home is my haven, it is the place of comfort and immense joy, the kind that makes you feel "all is well." Not the exuberant kind of joy, but the deep abiding joy. The joy you know comes from a kind and loving God.
This whole morning feels a bit holy, even though its ordinary in so many ways. Perhaps in that is a great secret, to know that the ordinary contains holiness. These days folks are all out looking for some great emotional high in their religious experience, for me that feels odd, strange, uncomfortable. I feel the presence of God in the simple, the nearly silent moments, in the stillness of the day when I can hear his small still voice whisper to me, or when I can see the magnificent show of His love in what He has created for us and for His astounding passion for order and detail.
It is not the sabbath day, but it is a day of rest for me, a gift from above for a tired weary soul that hardly knows which way is up lately.
The cool air filling the room with freshness and a gentle renewal. God is indeed good.

Comments

Amy said…
Oh, Patty, you're so lucky the weather is cool there - it's still so hot and muggy in the mid-Atlantic and I'm longing for the cool weather of my native midwest. What kind of maple tea do you have? Sounds delicious.
Patty said…
Melissa sends me Maple tea from Vermont, and its wonderful. I sweeten it with a tiny bit of pure maple syrup that Melissa gave us too. Perfect for a fall like day
We continue to pray for Mei-Ling and all of you and rejoice in all the good news. Did I mention that my younger daughter's first baby was just born on September 8th? Her name is Sofia Irmgard Isabella and she is wonderful and mother and baby are well and happy.Your blog is a blessing that calms me in all the stress of my husband's continued illness.
nancyr said…
So happy to hear that little Mei-Ling is coming home today. You will all rest better now, I hope.
The photos of the chickens and the one you have posted with it, today are gorgeous. Good ones for your cards!
We also have autumn-like weather here, in Colorado. Sunday, I made a pie, using one of the jars of apple pie filling from your recipe, and it is delicious. Thank you for posting that one!
Grancy
Mrs.T said…
G-D is in the simple things :) I'm convice of it :)...

Happy to hear about Mei Ling on her way home! Yeah!!

G-D is good :)

I just looked at TN weather on www.weather.com.. this Sat's high is only going to be 73,hoot!

Fall is MY time.. :)

Love your colors!

::hugs from TN:::
Mimi said…
Your day sounds like it is made for a comforting talk with God... I am so happy for you that Mei-Ling is coming home and you can have a piece about that.. as well as just the knowledge that God is in his heaven and all is right with your world Prayers,and Hugs, go out to you today !!!

Popular Posts