Pie Crust Recipe


A short while ago someone asked me for my pie crust recipe. Its a simple one but tried and true. I have been using it since before I was married. A dear friend, Mrs Lawrence gave it to me when we worked together. When Melissa was about 14 she wanted to start making pies so I taught her how to make crust, well it seems I taught her better than I taught myself because her pie crusts are the best we have ever tasted. Flaky beyond words. So for years we had a system, she made the dough and I rolled out the crust, (she didn't like that part of pie making and I do) The last couple of years she was not able to be here for Thanksgiving, a big pie making event for our family, so I had to do it all myself. Its not that I mind the task, but I missed working side by side with both my girls in the kitchen and we all missed having Melissa's flaky crusts. She tells me the secret is in not handling the dough much, just the absolute minimum of mixing the dough together until its blended well.
The pictures are from apple pies made in the past, one with a maple leaf top and the other with the traditional top crust.
Enjoy pie making !

Oil Pie Crust
6-8 servings
10 inch 2 crust pie
2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup vegetable oil or canola oil
4 tablespoons cold water

Measure flour and salt into bowl. Add oil; mix with a fork, until particles are the size of small peas. Sprinkle with water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until flour is moistened and dough almost cleans the sides of the bowl. (If dough seems too dry, 1 to 2 tablespoons oil can be added. Do not add water.If dough seems a bit too wet, add a tiny bit of additional flour).
Gather dough together; PRESS FIRMLY INTO A BALL.
After pressing firmly into a ball,the less the dough is handled the more flaky the crust will be.
Divide dough in half ; roll out into shape to fit your pie plate
Cut slit in the top crust, or I often cut out shapes with cookie cutter and place pieces of dough slightly overlapping on another. Brush top crust with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake according to your pie recipes instructions.

Comments

Lib said…
What a Beautiful pie crust.
I miss cooking with my Mom.
Happy Cookin',
Lib
Anonymous said…
Wow what an incredible picture of apply goodness! I can't wait to try this pie crust recipe.
Amy said…
Hey Patty! I was the one who asked for the crust recipe so THANKS! Can't wait to try it!

Popular Posts