Inner Peace


On the side of my blog is a small button that says, "Peace in oneself, peace in the world" a simple saying, but one of sheer "profundity".
Mother Teresa has said of peace, "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." Peace isn't just about quiet afternoons, long leisurely mornings or hours of meditation on a hillside alone. Peace is about finding that place in our hearts where we understand that everyone matters. It is about letting go of the junk that bogs us down emotionally. Peace within is about not stepping out of life, but actually its about walking in life with balance and compassion for others. The Dalai Lama says, "The greatest obstacles to inner peace are disturbing emotions such as anger, attachment, fear and suspicion". Think about the times in your own life when inner peace is the most distant. Its when you are angry at someone, or suspicious of someones motives or actions. We feel stressed when we are filled with fear or don't want to let go of something, when the time has come to let go of it.
Inner peace, when gained, is not something that can be taken from us. We can choose to give it away to another persons keeping, but real inner peace is ours, our thoughts are ours.
Inner peace can be part of our life in the midst of turmoil, in the center of chaos, in the depths of difficult situations. A lesson learned through time and being aware of my own thoughts and feelings.

A bit of some good news, Mei-Ling will be going home tomorrow from the hospital !
The sky tonight, looking off my front porch

Comments

R. Aastrup said…
Good news about Mei-Ling! Beautiful sunset. True words on peace...
Mimi said…
Patty,
your picture was so peaceful that I saved it to my desktop as my screen's picture..
I have missed your blog for a couple days as I have not been home... so I caught myself up on your postings this morning... and it is wonderful news that little Mei-Ling is going home today...
I continue to pray for her and for rest for Melanie, Casi, You and your husband (I forgot his name,sorry :0(
Mrs.T said…
Yeah! Mei Ling!

And thank you Patty.. this is something that I've learn this week..
::hugs from TN:::
Amy said…
What wise words -I think you are on the mark with the things that rob us of inner peace. How illuminating to ponder that inner peace can be achieved by letting go rather than by actively seeking peace (though outside actions like meditation or yoga) - or do those factor in somehow?

I'm going to try today to just let go of those things that are robbing me of inner peace.
Nan said…
I have a magnet on my refrigerator that says:

Peace
It does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble or hard work. It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.
unknown author

And boy is that hard. That's why I have it up there, to remind me. Some people achieve this through their religion, some through other people, some through exercise, some through reading. No matter how we find it, it isn't an easy thing, ever.

Popular Posts