That Certain Dress

There is said to be a line in "Flowers for Mrs Harris" by Paul Gallico, that reads..."A dress has the magical effect of making a woman look utterly feminine... but the spell is broken when she wears those two-legged things."
I thought about this today as I was tidying up my bedroom and reorganizing my closet. Moving a favorite dress from one spot to another, I took it out and laid it on the bed and thought about how that dress makes me feel when I wear it. It is more than just a dress, it is a moment, a feeling, an experience when I wear it. So unlike the slacks or even my skirts. All women need a dress like that in their closet. One that transforms, and gives you the ability to glide across any floor.
It is a joy to be a woman ~


photo found on a google search for 50's fashion

Comments

cheryl said…
I read this book years ago but with the title " Mrs. 'Arris goes to Paris " and loved it . The movie version was on not long ago .I think the UK version was Flowers for Mrs. Harris .
Patty said…
I am thinking I should read this book : )
cheryl said…
Yes you would enjoy it . The movie version starred Angela Lansbury as Mrs. 'Arris and Omar Shariff . It was a movie made for tv .

Popular Posts