The First Day Of Fall




Storms and the cold front last night ushered in true fall temperatures for us and I could not be happier. The windows are open and the air blowing in feels almost cold. Yesterday afternoon we had a temperature of 91 degrees and most of today has hovered right around 60.
Melanie called me to come over for a bit and enjoy some of the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies that she had just taken from the oven. Mei-Ling greeted me with a cookie in one hand and a toy in another. Her little face aglow with pure joy in the day. Melanie's house so tidy and neat, beautiful music in the background, the aroma of spicy cookies cooling and a comforting warmth coming in the living room from the kitchen stove. There is something profoundly beautiful for parents to see their children with good homes and happy hearts. Order and contentment, goals and direction that mirror all the things you taught them as children. Coming home from Melanie's house, I thought, this is what life is all about, seeing your children grow into fine young people that know what life is about. Generous, kind, always thinking of others, and full of compassion. This is what Emery and I strove to instill in our children and now we see it before us. I love talking to the girls each day when they call to tell me what they are cooking and baking and what they have accomplished for the day. Always asking about what we are doing, how we are and showing care for us. It's love in words and they show it to us in so many ways.
A little note thanking us for this or that, or just to say they appreciate us and love us.
What more could we ask for ?
So today, on this first day of fall, my heart is full of thankfulness for the love that fills my life.
And for the cool weather too, I love it so much.
It occurred to me, that I could live in a penthouse apartment with maids and butlers or in a log cabin way in the woods and as long as my children were who they are today and I had all the love I do, the place or the style of life would be inconsequential.

Comments

debi said…
You are so right. The cold air blowing in my bedroom window right now fills me with a excitement that comes with my favorite season of the year. I too have close relationships with my children and my girls call me each day just to visit.I feel so blessed that we are so close in one anothers lives. I always enjoy reading what you have to say. Have a blessed night.
Christy said…
Hi there!

I've been a reader for quite awhile but this is my first comment. I just wanted to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. Hope you have a blessed fall season!

Christy
Joanie said…
What lovely pictures! You captured the feel of autumn so well...

What a precious blessing for your family to be so close and the example you set for your children being lived out in their lives!

Popular Posts