Some mornings the land just begs to be walked. This was that kind of morning. After doing my chores, I went and got my camera and went for a walk. The wind seemed to beckon me further and further. As if it was giving me a gentle nudge to walk on. The fallen leaves crunched under my feet and the crows overhead were calling to one another in some round of crow conversation that I was not made privy to.
Squirrels ran from branch to branch, chattering at me as if to say, "stay away". There is great solitude in the trees. But not silence. The noises in the trees are many and cause you to look and see what is making each sound.
As I came back towards the garden I noticed that the herbs were ready to be clipped and dried by the wood stove for winter use. I found lovely bunches of comfrey, and I could not resist the fragrant rosemary, although it stays green and fresh all winter outside. I love how it smells hanging in bundles off the huge cedar beam in our living room. I found basil, a tiny bit of fresh fennel and mint. I brought in a small bundle of juniper with berries galore. Tomorrow I will gather more no doubt. More mullein, I will bring in some St Johns wort too.

Comments

La Tea Dah said…
Comfrey --- I would be interested learning how to use this herb. Does yours have an abundance of beautiful blue flowers?
Patty said…
I have some with pinkish flowers and some with purple. This year was too dry and too hot for a really good crop of comfrey. Even my mullein was not as prolific as in most years

Popular Posts