A Ramble

I just heard one more time that one thing over so many small things has been the major player in why this country and so many of the nations are where we are today, in a deep recession. The word I have heard is greed. Greedy people wanting houses they can't afford, people demanding bigger salaries than they need, greedy bankers, investors, anyone that has a list of "I wants" that is much bigger than whats in their wallet and desires for more than they will ever need in life. Children that have no concept of money and parents that give in to all the demands made on them. It seems that just about everyone has a deep sense of discontentment. Whats that all about anyway ? This high level of discontentment... what are we really hungering after ?
Even though we live this rather simple existence, we still fight the "I wants" the ones that have nothing to do with need. Emery makes really good money and everyone seems to expect us to live a certain way, a way that shouts how much money we have. It really is peer pressure of sorts. Folks question our sanity in driving older cars, having wood heat, no clothes dryer etc. For some reason that and the lack of a dishwasher are big things to people. So, I do understand this pressure to have and have and have. I watch those same home shows that others do and yeah, I find myself looking around the room thinking, "oh that would be nice" or "we should move into a newer house". But, I know deep inside of me that money and bigger and better do not make you a better person or happier. Stuff is stuff, not happiness.
Who I am is not to be measured by the logo on my car, or by being able to say I shop at gourmet food stores or eat at certain high end restaurants. We should be deeper than that, more than that. Greed drives us to loose who we are in so many ways and just seek some shallow definition of success. Money does not fill an emotional need just like food doesn't.
We all seem to admire those that are self contained, happiness on the inside, peace within, not dependant on the externals to achieve what is held in our hearts and bring joy. But so few of us work towards achieving those goals. I think we have taken an empty road by seeking things instead of the things that are lasting and not dependant on what we own. Seeking peace and joy within, is never achieved by shopping, working 60 hour weeks, spending what we don't have or by a heart filled with greed or fear of looking like we don't measure up to some worthless standard set by those that wish to get us to buy stuff .
the photo is of our front door bell, pretty simple isn't it

Comments

Aunt Jenny said…
Some of the happiest people I have ever known didn't have two dimes to rub together...or at least didn't appear to, and some of the saddest have been the ones who have the most materially. I agree that material possessions and money are not the way to happiness. There are so many REAL things we can give our children, rather than possessions. Love, security, self esteem, knowledge and kindness...and did I mention Love?
You are right about getting us to buy, buy, buy. They use any and all advertising gimmicks to get people to believe they NEED these things. The less the better. I don't begrudge anyone who uses a dishwasher or dryer. But I would miss out on the fresh air and time spent looking at the view from my kitchen window. We get so busy thinking of the next thing we want that we miss the lovely things that were put here for our enjoyment and they are free. The ad agancies count on our discontentment with life. It is how they make the big money to buy the things they fool themselves into thinking they need.
thanks for this post. definitely food for thought.
We didn't buy into the 'Keep up with the Jones' view either. And it's amazing, how much our long history of so doing, _helps_ in bad economic times. Those who had to 'have everything, and more' have a hard time, with making do. We have an easier time.

I see the [possible] learning of this lesson, to be a silver lining in this global recession or whatever one chooses to call it. I say, a 'possible learning,' because I also think people need more than lack of $$$, to discover simpler living. It seems to help, to _want_ it, first. Then, seek and find it.

But I still will hope that a lesson is learned... That people will not go all the way back to their former 'gotta'-have-it-all' views.

And a good sign is, that spending is down but savings are up. Or so I read. _That_ is quite amazing! And to me, it's quite a hopeful sign. :-)

'Aunt Amelia'
Lisa said…
Pat, you would have enjoyed hearing this week my oldest son tell me, "I don't care about possessions, I care about people."
We were discussing a friend of his who is very selfish and son was telling me that if someone needed something he has, he'll give it to them. He hasn't conquered the desire to buy stuff, maybe none of us will until Heaven, but at least he's thinking differently than most Americans. Lisa in NM

Popular Posts