Homemade Scouring Powder




This recipe for homemade scouring powder just does a great job when you need to do some cleaning, which is just what I need to do today since I am feeling better. Time to catch up on the things that were neglected since I was sick.... I was able to find both the Borax and the Washing Soda at Wal-Mart.

Homemade Scouring Powder
1 part Borax
1 part washing soda
1-2 drops essential oil. ( I like to use lemon or lavender, but today I used Orange oil )

I often make it without the essential oil for two reasons, I think it smells nice and clean without it and any time you add oil to a cleaner, you are adding an ingredient that can leave a film.
Store in an air tight container and clearly mark what it is. I usually make a batch of one cup of each, Borax and Washing Soda

Comments

JC said…
My just might have to try that ...

~~~ Stuey http://rusticranch.blogspot.com is having her Pay It Forward ... if you want any cool items ... go visit her blog ~~~
Renee said…
I'm definitely going to try this out! Thanks! So glad to hear you are doing better.
Anonymous said…
I'm lovin' this recipe and can't wait to give it a try... thanks!!
Aunt Jenny said…
I will be trying this for sure too...it is very similar to my homemade laundry soap powder..without the soap...and THAT works great. Thanks!
jodie said…
Thanks for this receipe, I am trying to go natural, but how do you use it? Does it have to be dampened? (please pardon my ignorance, but if you don't ask....)
Patty said…
Jodie,
you just use it in the same way as you would any scouring powder such as comet or ajax. Sprinkle it on the surface you wish you clean and srcub with a damp cloth and rinse clean with water
jodie said…
thanks Patty, have put it on my shopping list. I appreciate the little tips and recipes you share.
... Paige said…
I think this is just what we need to clean our grill

thanks Patty
Cat said…
I make a slightly different recipe with equal parts borax, salt and baking soda. It feels great to use stuff that is not harmful to the environment, and I enjoy your blog because of your commitment to this.
Jan said…
I am glad you are feeling better but don't push. Give yourself time to really recover.
do you suppose this wouuld work by using baking soda instead of washing soda? that's what I use for my laundry. 2 parts baking soda to 1 part borax. Works great and everything smell so clean!

Popular Posts