Plum Picking Day

It was time, time to go out and pick plums. There were a growing number of plums falling off the tree and creating a carpet of purple balls. I was remembering as I was doing the picking of two years ago in May, an early year for the plums and Melanie was outside helping me pick plums, whle Mei-Ling was just one month old. How time flies. Mei-Ling called me on the phone yesterday while her mommy was doing housework and since I was outside, she left me a voicemail, all on her own.
We made plum jam that year, lots of it...I will make some today too and perhaps a nice plum charlotte from a favorite old cookbook of mine.


Plum Charlotte
6 oz fresh white breadcrumbs
2 oz butter
1 1/2 lbs ripe plums, halved and stones
4 oz brown sugar
1 cup fresh orange juice
finely grated rind and juice of 1/2 lemon

Using a shallow baking dish, brush the bottom and sides with butter. Cover the bottom with some of the breadcrumbs. Put a layer of plums in the dish, sprinkle with some of the sugar and a little of the lemon rind and juice. Dot with more butter. Continue these layers until all the ingredients have been used. Finishing with a layer of breadcrumbs and dotting with butter. Pour the orange juice over this. Bake in a 375 oven for 40-45 minutes or until the charlotte feels tender and breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Serves approx 4

From the cookbook... "English Desserts, Puddings, Cakes and Scones"
by Norma and Gordon Latimer

Comments

Aunt Jenny said…
Oh Patty..it all sounds just wonderful. Plums are so useful! Our old old plum trees (3 of them now) have plums that ripen in August..a sweet treat for sure. The apple trees are full of "baby" apples right now too...I love it!
Your photos are awesome.
Stephanie said…
I bought a few plums at the farmers market yesterday and they are so sweet and delicious. Enjoy them!
Lib said…
Thanks for the recipe!
Been catching up on my visit enjoyed the other post as well.Hope you feel better soon!
Blessins',Lib
Margo in Maine said…
mmmmm.....do they look great...photos are great
mikesgirl said…
I have that same hat! Love it - now all we need is the sun!

Popular Posts