Marked Down Bananas


For as long as I can remember, I have shopped the food stores when I know they will be marking down the produce. I stop in the store a couple times a week, checking on the dates of certain items like organic chicken to see when the last day of sale is and go back the day before and most always its marked down half price. I then buy all I can, and freeze it.
We have done the same with banana's and other fruits to freeze for smoothies or to dehydrate.
Melanie does the very same thing and we are always so delighted when we hit it just right. Its a good way to buy organic fruit since its often so expensive.
If you watched Oprah Friday, it was a real eye opener on waste and I was kinda happy to be able to say, we are not very wasteful. Have used cloth napkins for decades and don't use paper towels very often, I think we buy maybe 3 rolls a year.
Here is what I do with bananas that are marked down a cheap. We can get them pretty often in our area for 99 cents a big bag full. So three or 4 bags gives you a huge amount of banana's to work with. In the photo I think there is about 6 bags of banana's which lasts about all summer long. This batch of bananas were not organic, but we made do.
Drying bananas takes about 3-4 days depending on how big they are and come out with the consistency of licorice and are a great treat when you have a sweet tooth.
For the ice cream, we just run frozen bananas through the champion juicer with the homogenizer attachment. Its like soft serve and has only one ingredient....banana's. We usually spice it up a bit with unsweetened coconut and carob chips. We feel like we have an sundae ~

Comments

Lib said…
A great idea. I buy and made banana bread to freeze, this would go well with it!Thanks for sharing!
You're garden is way ahead of ours!
Have a Blessed day!
Blessins',Lib

Popular Posts