Great Degreaser

I am a big fan of the BBC America show "How Clean is Your House? " with Kim and Aggie. I love to watch the transformation of the homes they tackle and they have so many good, natural cleaning "recipes". Last week I tried this recipe for cleaning my stove and it worked better than any degreaser that you buy in the store in those expensive spray bottles. And how nice to not have to wear gloves because of the harsh chemicals.
You take baking soda and squirt in enough dish washing liquid to make a thin paste with. If you have a real problem of baked on grease, I would use one of the specially formulated grease release washing up liquids. I have used both 7th generation dish soap and a very popular green dish soap. Palmolive worked best I must say. It took no elbow grease to get the stove top clean and was not abrasive at all. I even used it on the oven window and door. Actually I liked the result so well, I just cleaned my tea kettle with it and my counter tops. Its certainly a cost effective cleaner that does a great job. I just wiped it on, left it a minute and then rinsed off with a damp cloth. I did lay it on kind of thick so took a couple of rinsings to get the cleaner off and then I just dried with a clean towel.
Thanks Kim and Aggie for the great cleaning tips ~

Comments

Holly C. said…
Oh-I love how clean is your house too! I watch it on youtube. I'm a sucker for before and after shows, especially when there is not a lot of money involved.
cheryl said…
Patty I wonder if you could use this on the inside of the oven ? I hate those harsh chemical sprays .
Oh, Patty, thank you. I've used baking soda with disappointing results, but I just tried Palmolive and baking soda on my white propane range. Much easier than the commercial degreasers! And I now have it coating my perpetually grease-spattered (and I don't fry anything!) blue graniteware coffeepot.

Mo from Oklahoma
Patty -- Thank you! I've used baking soda with varying degrees of effort and disappointment, but the addition of Palmolive really helped my white propane stove top. I've now got the paste slathered over my perpetually grease-spattered (and I don't fry things!) blue graniteware coffee pot.

Mo from Oklahoma
(hoping Blogger accepts this one!)
My apologies for the double posting. Update on the blue coffee pot. WoW! That stuff worked. I was just before throwing the thing away; now it shines like -- well, not new, but a well-cared for treasure.

Thanks again.

Mo from Oklahoma

Popular Posts