A Morning Ramble

I read this verse this morning, Psalm 33:22 "May your unfailing love rest upon us, O LORD, even as we put our hope in you." Hope is such a good thing, so alive, so much more than a wish. It has life when its real and not just lip service. Hope is like the law of attraction. You have to believe in it in order for it to work.
Its been a difficult week and its only Tuesday. Worry over Mei-Ling and now Emery's mother is in ICU with renal failure and respiratory failure. She was anointed yesterday by the pastors of her church. Her health has been bad for all the years we have been married, most of it due to choices. Food over health. Comfort for her came in calories which soon turns into high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes and on and on. A lesson in that for many folk. It does catch up to you. My mother, much the same. Untreated high blood pressure, overweight, that took her life in her mid sixties. Strange, I started out about the word hope and this post grew rather grim in a matter of a few sentences, but really believing, having real hope, can take you from the place of stuffing your emotions with food to the place where real comfort can arise. I am over-weight and hate it. Grew up with atrocious eating habits that are taking a life time to get over. In my twenties and thirties I was nice and thin then my mother died, more babies did not arrive like we had so wanted and with all that something went amok with my eating that has never been set straight yet. I was trying to fill voids with food I guess.
I do stay fit, was told a couple years ago that my heart looked like that of a 19 year old. But I am still fat ! Where is my hope, where do I turn when things are difficult like this week is ? Mostly its to a quick fix of a candy bar or a bigger helping than I need at this age, not to where I should turn. Yesterday I made a good choice, instead of munching, I put on my running clothes and got all those good endorphins flowing. I prayed and I took the time to reaffirm some good positive thinking.
If the truth be told, I never want my own children to think about their mother the way Emery and I have had to about our mothers. Food was their comfort and it killed them.
Put your hope in the right place, find comfort in something higher than what lasts a moment on the lips. You don't have to be overweight for food to rob you, it can be that you choose foods that clog your arteries, mess with your blood sugars or mess up your colon.
This post took on a life of its own. It turned out to be about something very different than intended. I guess it turned out to be a lecture for me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just want to give you a great big hug! We are all only human, and you have so very much on your emotional plate just now. I am so glad you've made some room on there for hope. When I'm prone to emotional eating, I try to fend it off with a big glass of ice water, maybe with some lemon or lime in it for flavor, and then reading a good book or doing some handwork. It feels better later than looking back on overindulgence. Don't beat yourself up--you are valuable and beautiful at any size!
Lisa said…
Funny, I said almost your words to dh this morning! I was telling him that I spend so much time reading about nutrition, natural healing, etc., that I would like to someday pursue it more seriously and maybe work at a job using that knowledge. Then I told him it would be frustrating work with people who wouldn't change their poor eating habits. I gave the example of using food to meet emotional needs. If a person is feeling lonely or worried or even tired, eating something that tastes good gives temporary relief from those feelings but often causes lots of health problems. I crave and eat chocolate cookie dough...I'm guilty too! So many folks are not educated at all about food and its impact on our bodies and are convinced that it makes no difference what is eaten.
Linda said…
I can identify with your post. My husband did not have enough food as a child and shows his love by feeding people. Our family is well loved. He's constantly pushing food, even our pets are too fat.

Would you please explain again Mei-Ling's condition. You gave the name of it one time and I tried to read about it but I still don't think I understand it. What is her long time prognosis? She is so beautiful.

I love the goat picture more everytime I see it. It makes me smile.
Dana and Daisy said…
Oh this is my vice in life, too. I can't imagine myself some day going through the things my Aunt has after her broken hip. So many similarities between us, and loving food more than ourselves is one of them.
Although I e-mailed some thoughts earlier this morning, I want to share a verse underlined in my Bible. Maybe instead of so much wondering I need to read these words over until they are a strong part of my thinking.
"Be of good courage, and He shall strengthen your heart, all you who hope in the Lord." Ps. 31:24.
On a different note--I wish someone could recommend a really good marking pen for signing a quilt block--I used a Sharpie to print on Mei-Ling's block and I'm not pleased with the result.
Marci said…
Pat, I can SO relate. In trying to have babies and following the doctors orders to a tee, I was on steroids for over a year and put on over 80 lbs. that year. Then when babies didn't come and other things happened, food satisfied. I am truly trying to take it off now. I too have been told I am very healthy for a fat woman. I think it is because my food choices are healthy. I have had to just re-arrange them (less carbs, etc) and do some exercise. So far I have lost 26 lbs. I hope to keep at it. Hang in there.
Patty said…
Hi Linda,
Mei-Ling has heterotaxy polyspleenia (she has at least 4 spleens none of work to capacity) which is a condition that has multiple issues. She has one kidney, liver in the wrong place, 3 holes in her heart, her intenstines are not "tacked down" so there is always a fear of malrotation. she has reproductive issues, no uterus, only one falopain tube and one ovary. She has other issues too that will require reconstructive surgery around puberty. Along with the heterotaxy Polyspleenia, she has Hydronephrosis Congenital
Reflux Ureteral W Unilat Nephrop
Neurogenic Bladder-Cord Bladder and now we found she has a deformed tail bone with nerve issues around that area.
Lots for just such a wee one to deal with.
minervabird said…
I found that not eating dessert during the week (weekends I allow myself), not drinking soda, and walking an hour with my husband every day took the weight off and keeps it off. My best for your quest to lose those extra pounds.

My best,

Anna Marie from the UK
eggsintomatoes said…
I lost 80 lbs. Now I am thin and fit. I like being fit, but I don't think I am any happier being thin. I think as long as you are fit, eat healthfully, but still allow yourself those indulgences then what difference does it make? Exercise is the key and you are already doing that. Emery & your family will always love you no matter what your size.
Patty said…
My family never says anything about my weight, they are so sweet, but I just don't want to be overweight and later develop problems from it, which in turn can steal years from a persons life. I am not beating myself up in any way, just stating facts about the health risks to carrying extra weight.
Leslie said…
Your post moved me, Pat. I discovered that I ate to replace sleep, which, of course, it doesn't do. After years of nearly sleepless nights with Ethan, I would eat more or more often for energy.(I thought) Even now, when I'm tired, my body says "eat". I have to make a concerted effort to sit down,put my feet up, take a deep breath,and close my eyes in prayer. That "Blessed Hope" gives strength that food can't give.
Patty said…
Dear Leslie,
You have done so well, and you look so good. I feel inspired when I see you.
We all love the quilt block. Its so pretty how you did it.

Popular Posts