Morning Ramble



We collected our first rainwater yesterday...it was amazing to both Emery and I how much water was in the barrel after just one inch of rain fell just from the run off from the goat barn roof. It made me think about all the water we have let slip through our fingers by not collecting it in the past. This first step, is just that, a baby step into the world of rainwater retrieval. We have plans for a much more sophisticated system as time goes by, along with setting up a solar electric system for the house. There are always plans, and dreams to work towards. Goals for living more gently on this tired old earth that has been treated so badly at times.
Yesterdays rains have refreshed the ground. The plants in the garden shot up an inch it seems, just overnight. Tiny bits of green poking out from the rich brown soil, radishes, several kinds of lettuce, turnip greens and spinach, all from seed. The other plants, collard greens, cabbage, earlier lettuce and some squash, are well established now. Bigger leaves and strong looking.
Emery and I live in a world of contrasts at times. So many jobs and pastimes on our place that are old fashioned and have nothing to do with batteries or electricity. There is no monthly bill with our heating system. No cost to dry my clothes, with the exception of clothespins once every couple of years and a new line every 5 years or so. There is no store shopping for my yarn or soaps. In the garden, just the sound of my footsteps as I cultivate, or the steady thump sound of the hoe as I work each row. But here I sit, on the computer writing about it. There is a digital camera in my hand many times a day and in my pocket, a cell phone and in the driveway, a car. And I must not forget the espresso machine in the kitchen ! Oh and there is the big screen t.v. that I watch Little House on the Prairie, You Are What You Eat, and of course British Comedy every Sunday night. There is a fantastic stereo system that brings to life great music that connects with my moods and I must not forget my IPod that delivers music to me wherever I go. It feels like the best of both worlds. We are comfortable in both but chose more often to disconnect from the rush that can come from living all things instant.
This morning, the sunshine is of the purest gold, laying in thin transparent layers across the grass and the garden, and hanging like garland off the thinning trees. Walking out to do my chores, seeing all this splendor, caused me to stop and look deeply at the marvels of nature. If it were not for the requirement to go outside and do morning chores, I may have just stayed inside and missed this magical moment of golden sunshine. Its hard to soak in the wonder when you are just rushing to the car, hoping not to be late for wherever it is you are heading. Its hard to savor and explore your surroundings when you are on a tight schedule, feeling pressed on every side. Simple living gives me this freedom, it is a life of slow and steady rythems, each moment can be a meditation with God and I like that .


Comments

Unknown said…
Your blog has been a breath of fresh air for this missionary currently serving in an overcrowded Chinese city miles apart from your corner of the world! I love your style, your photos, your love for family and all things simple. And I am learning that a simple life is not in the place lived, but the lifestyle embraced! Blessings! Melody
Val said…
This is a true blessing. Thank you for this sweet post.

Popular Posts