Not In The Budget








Most of the things we buy in this house come under some heading of the budget, but there is one area of spending that just slips under the radar. Decorating for the seasons. I was putting up some of our fall items and realized that there is a lot that goes into decorating for the seasons and I don't even spend much compared to some. If you are trying to have that Martha Stewart kind of house or one that might be found in the pages of a glossy magazine then you probably have items for all the major holidays that you put around the house. I do fall and Christmas. Not more than a couple items for spring time and nothing much for summer. Oh wait, I did decorate for outside of the house for the 4th of July this year. And those things were certainly wants and they were not listed in any area of the family budget.
What made me think about all this was being at the store and seeing an array of fall color towels and bath accessories. My immediate thought was, "oh, it would be cute to "do" the bathrooms for fall. New shower curtain, a few new towels and then there are some really pretty little bathroom rugs. I have some cute fall fabric pieces that I could make a window curtain from and maybe even trim the towels with. Nothing major, only about $60 total. Oh wait....$60 is a good size chunk of change and then what about the things I have on hand that I could use, maybe the total would be more like $75. I did buy pumpkins and Indian corn, oh yeah some gourds and a cinnamon broom already this year. I saw so many cute ideas in a magazine. I bet if I added up the entire holiday or season decorating stuff, it probably totals somewhere around $200 without much notice. You can mindlessly spend a good amount at the dollar stores over a year. $200 could buy a lot of groceries for a family in need or several warm coats for children in need ! Now just ad in the amount for the glossy magazines that we buy to inspire us to decorate and then if we are craft minded, the supplies we buy, it can add up to a sizable amount over the year and honestly, looking back through my life, I remember with such fondness the holidays of my childhood, where the decorations might consist of a couple cardboard cut outs taped to the window and in the fall, some leaves we gathered, pressed between two sheets of wax paper and a pumpkin. The memories we cherish about the seasons and holidays don't come from extraordinary decorations, but from the time spent with family and friends. For me, fall memories are of raking leaves and jumping into the great piles we created. My children don't think about the decorations I put up, but of coming into the house that smells of pumpkin bread or some other fall time goodie.
We have fallen for great marketing ploys that get us to spend money on things that don't improve the quality of our lives to any profound extent. We feel like we have to have these things. Have to have a house that gets a "wow factor" from anyone that sees it. These decorating items might make it pretty, but it doesn't transform us. It doesn't make us better people and often times we end up spending money we don't need to be spending.
The argument may be, " I have the money " or "we deserve some pretty things" or "these things make me feel good", well I am just guessing that if you have that money, then spending that same amount of money for someone in need, might just make us feel even better.
Living our lives with a purpose greater than decorating for the seasons might just give us more joy then we could ever imagine.
Even the crafts we do can be costly ventures. No longer do we create from what we have, we head off to the craft stores and buy supplies that often times we never get around to using. A waste of money. Maybe we can find balance by looking back a couple generations. Quilts made of worn bits of clothing....mitten wash cloths cut in cute animal shapes, embroidered with faces, sewn together, made from the good parts of worn out towels. Yarn dolls made for hours of entertainment for little girls, made from scrap, no fancy eyes sewn on, just a family of yarn dolls, with furniture for them made from match boxes. True creative minds create something out of virtually nothing. Wooden spoon dolls and tiny bi-planes made from a roll of life saver candies and two sticks of gum for wings. Brightly colored mittens made for winter play, knitted with bits of leftover yarn creating wonderful strips of color. Stocking hats to match, fun in how long they can become.
Window sills decorated with real acorns and colorful leaves. Pine cones gathered on a walk, sit in a simple basket with some dried berries found along the roadside. Surrounding ourselves with beauty and creating wonderful items need not be costly. These are times to rethink our spending habits. Maybe turn back the hands of time to a simpler way that certainly would be easier on the budget.

The book is McCalls Giant Golden Make-It Book, copyright 1953...the very book my sisters and I found hours and hours of fun from. Not so sure that today we would want/allow such home made decorations sit in our fine homes. We want matching, themed decorations that look like they came straight out of a magazine, not three coat hangers put together with stuff dangling from them. But oh how well I remember making one of those decorations and feeling so proud that my mom hung it up right next to the tissue paper wreath made on a wire coat hanger my older sisters made. The joy was just as great at holidays then...maybe even a bit more.

Comments

Julian said…
hmmmm.....I think you hit my sore spot! I love to decorate , but have little money, or decor. I have been spending some money that is not exactly for decorating. Yes, I must be more creative. I did by the candle stick holders secondhand, and the candles were on sale. I am realizing that not only is it wise to decorate with things on hand, but it also sparks and nurtures creativity in the young ones who one day will need to use all their creative resources to perhaps survive in this world.
novascotiagal said…
I am relieved to hear Mei-Ling is feeling better.

I have taken to making those red and white paper hearts starting two years ago. In the Danish tradition, I make more each year, and they are a big "theme" in this house for Christmas. I just got the paper and measuring tools out a few days ago to get ready. They are beautiful in their simplicity, and festive in ever growing numbers - and I give some away as hostess gifts, for teachers, for anybody. I'm trying to spread the idea, I guess.

I do decorate with what I have on hand, and make it simple. Familiar items in the right texture or color grouped together, or used to hold the leaves, or pine cones, or whatever is appropriate, works for me. And the kids love to make things and that puts their creative energy on display. It isn't magazine "glossy" but it's real joy, and it's great for us.

Also, we in the west tend to think more is better, but in Japanese style they will put one object out, on careful display in it's own area, for close attention. Plus a simple painting, and a flower arrangement to symbolize the season. That's it. A very different way of decorating, but I appreciate the idea - simplicity in decoration where less is more, too. It inspires me to simplify my interior view as well as my life.
Marianna said…
My kids would LOVE a copy of that book...yesterday they spent hours making minature items from what they found in their craft closet which is mostly accumulated bits of this and that.

I want to say so much more about everything else you brought up that I'm going to write a post about it! Everthing you mention-seasonal decorating, magazines, craft supplies, dollar stores-are all things I've been thinking about lately.

Marianna
I have felt badly at times over craft or sewing supplies bought in a burst of enthusiasim and not used. Mostly I enjoy natural things--abandoned bird's nests, interesting rocks, cones or odd fragments picked up outside. When I was a child in Vermont, my grampa set up a table on the front porch where I could place all the items I carried home from my walks. Bouquets are few in this place of difficult gardening, but I have little treasures which are the first to be unpacked each time we have moved--my assortment wouldn't make it into the pages of a glossy magazine. They are just things that I enjoy and they give me a sense of familiarity and comfort.
Janette said…
I am so relieved that the baby is better. I hate long nights- even when they are in prayer.
Dana and Daisy said…
i look for books like yours second hand because they are always filled with good nuggets!

I like the natural found object decorations best of all, like acorns and fallen leaves and pine cones on the mantle. They always seem to have some life to them instead of the store bought kind.
heatherdmc said…
Ah! This was a gift from my great grandma in Florida when I was in second grade! Oh, how I loved to go through and make so many of those things! Another great one to "do" is 101 Ways to Amuse a Child. Both are still on my bookshelf today!
Eileen said…
I am throughly enjoying your blog and put you in my favorites. I recently lost my part time job due to state budget cuts but will be ok becuase we have an emergency fund.

Look forward to reading all your past posts.

Popular Posts