The Prayer Quilt for Mei-Ling

So many beautiful blocks have arrived already and I know many more are yet to arrive. The mail man joked with me about getting so many packages lately and when I told him what they were, he said he would pray for Mei-Ling too. I decided to lay out the blocks that have arrived so far and take a picture to share with you. It will be fun to put them all together and heart warming at the same time, knowing so many are praying for this little one that has endured so much, yet, remained so sweet and happy. I know that this quilt will be an amazing witness to the power of prayer and compassion.
I took off the shelf a book I have never done more than glance at by Kimberly Winston titled, "Fabric of Faith: A Guide to the Prayer Quilt Ministry" I actually forgot I had it until this very morning. Right off, I knew that it was there waiting to be read at the perfect moment and that moment was today.
Here is what I read...."There are so many opportunities to give. We can write a check. We can share our time. We can just hold a hand and tell someone we're there when the darkest of nights descends.
So why make a prayer quilt ? Why take the time to buy some fabric, cut it into intricate little pieces, sew them together, and sandwich it with batting ? Why spend all that energy to send something out into the world that won't feed anyone, clothe anyone, or change anyone's material circumstances ?
Because prayer quilts are more than blankets. They are the visible, tangible physical evidence of faith- faith in God, faith in love, and faith in prayer. But perhaps most importantly, they're also a symbol of our faith in one another."

My dear friends, you have given so much by making quilt blocks for Mei-Lings prayer quilt !
Thank you, thank you, thank you !

Comments

This will be such a pretty quilt--for such an appealing little girl.
The making of it is what my Mother would have termed "a labor of love"--one of those things done because we want a small share of caring and giving in a situation that seems too big to comprehend.
Carole said…
Well, I have just sent you an e-mail ! My blocks will be sent out tomorrow. So many blocks, it's fabulous !! It sure will be a wonderful quilt, and I'm glad to be a part of it.
mikesgirl said…
Beautiful! So much love to wrap the little one in! I don't see mine there, so I hope you'll take another shot when you get all of them. It's going to be wonderful!
Anonymous said…
The quilt is looking gorgeous already! A wonderful treasure for her to keep and find comfort in.
Just finished my quilt square and hope to get it in the mail tomorrow morning. If not, Tuesday latest. It looks wonderful so far, and best of all are the prayers and love in it.
Phase II said…
I will get mine in the mail tomorrow.
barbara

Popular Posts