"Our Deepest Desire....."

I love to read, and there have been many books through time that I can honestly say I loved reading. But, there are only a handful of books I have read that I have felt were life changing.  Some books have motivated me, some books have inspired me, and some books have just simply given pleasure, but then there are the life changing books that have done all that and more.   I am reading just such a book right now.  Reading it slowly, digesting with care what is contained in each sentence, savoring the words and then setting about to apply them to my life on a daily basis, and its changing me, for the good.  I am not a slow reader, but this is the kind of book you don't want to rush, its too important.  Its taken me two weeks to read 70 pages.  I feel no need to rush through this book, because I really don't want to see it end.  Its as though I am sitting at the feet of a sage and that is a treasured experience that you want to make last a very long time. 
I keep mulling over a few paragraphs, soaking in the depth of the words, understanding the power they can have on me.  As I get older, I feel a real need to become a better person, to take each breath with mindfulness of my thoughts and actions.  When I read these few sentences in this book, it was as if the author was able to put into words exactly what I was wanting to express in regard to my personal mission statement...."Desire is a kind of food that nourishes us and gives us energy.  If we have a healthy desire, such as a wish to save or protect life, care for our environment, or live a simple, balanced life with time to take care of ourselves and our loved ones, our desire will bring us happiness."   That's it !  That is my desire, to live a simple balanced life, with time to take care of myself and my family !  That is the sum of my life's desire.   A few paragraphs after that comes a sentence that I have underlined and highlighted.  "Our deepest desire is the basis of all our actions..." Think about that, its true.   The author asks this question, "What is it that we really want deep in our heart ? Is it money, fame, power ? Or is it finding inner peace, being able to live life fully and enjoy the present moment ? Happiness reveals itself when we are at peace with ourselves. "    
The book is about mindful eating and mindful living and although since starting this book I have lost 8 lbs, I have found that its not about the eating, its about being mindful, its about knowing what you are doing, why you are doing it and finding out how to live at peace with your own suffering.     I wish everyone would read this book and read it with the intention of putting to rest all the battles we so often fight over things of the past or the war we rage within of over the "might happen" events we have dreamed up.  

The book....Savor, Mindful Eating, Mindful Life by Thich Nhat Hanh and Dr Lilian Cheung

Comments

Popular Posts